Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Emily Waddill Course 3 Blog 5

On Monday of this week, myself and Mrs. Golightly gave a presentation to our grade level team about some information on PBL. I had created a powerpoint and also uploaded resources to a folder in Google Drive to share with my colleagues. I really enjoyed this chance to share what I’ve learned this year through taking this PBL course and I hope that my colleagues could tell that I was excited about what I was doing. There has definitely been some struggles this year but I know that everything is a learning process and the second go around will be better than the first. One thing that I had put in the folder to share was the true colors personality assessment idea for grouping students at the beginning of the year. I am so excited to try this out in my classes next year and I loved the idea that I couldn’t resist sharing it.

I also briefly talked about the essential elements of what a good PBL unit should include and provided a checklist for those teachers thinking about trying out their first PBL unit. I hope that my colleagues feel comfortable coming to me with any questions that they may have about PBL. I don’t consider myself to be an expert on the topic of PBL  because there’s always room for improvement and I know that there’s work that I can do to make my units even better. However, I will offer any support that I can in the following years so that our students are learning through more engaging and powerful methods.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily,
    I enjoyed reading about how your peer presentation went with Mrs. Golightly. The presentation you created and your resources uploaded showed accurate information regarding pbl and highlighted your implementation of this structure within your math class. I am glad that you enjoyed this process and that in spite of some of the struggles that accompany the first time you implement a new teaching structure, your belief in the benefit of this model continues to yield excitement. I am glad that you plan to use the true colors personality assessment unit and I know your colleagues are glad that you are willing to provide support and make yourself available to them as they work towards implementing a pbl unit.

    Thank you!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete