Friday, March 17, 2017

Allgood--Blog Post #2--PBL Implementation

So, this week I finally got to implement my spring PBL unit.  This one feels very different to me than the one I did in the fall. This one really feels like a true PBL to me. I have learned so much from my PBL in the fall and things that maybe didn't go quite as I had planned. This time around, I wanted to really make this as authentic of an inquiry as I possibly could, and I also wanted to make sure that each student was responsible for a decent part of the project (at least the implementation of it), such that they could be graded individually.

For this PBL, my students are working in groups of 3 or 4. They were tasked with choosing a seed that we could plant in cups and expose to different variables. Each student will set up their own set of potted plants to bring home that they are responsible for caring for and documenting their growth via photographs. As a group, students had to research seeds for fruits or vegetables that could grow well in this area at this time of year. They also tried to choose something that would germinate and grow in the next few months. As a group, they decided on a seed. Next, it was time to design their experiments. Each person in the group had to choose a different variable to investigate. Group members were encouraged to help each other during the experiment design process to ensure that their experiment had all necessary components. Then, we did a gallery walk where each student made their own mini gallery walk poster (instead of making one poster as a group). Each student got feedback in the form of "I like" and "I wonder" from at least 5 or 6 other students. I felt like this was a very good formative assessment and would give them an opportunity for reflection and revision.

The next step in our process is for students to actually plant their seeds on Monday and take their seedlings home to take care of.  Hopefully during the week before spring break, we can talk about phase II of this PBL (our cross-disciplinary component) in which students will develop a business plan to try to make a living off of selling their crop. Phase III will involve a 4-H type fair showcasing what they have done this spring.

I was amazed to see how engaged students were when researching which type of plant they should grow. I'm glad that I threw in the competitive aspect of, "What if your grade depended on being able to actually produce a fruit or vegetable from your plant that someone could eat?" and "What if their was extra credit for growing the largest fruit or vegetable?"  Those two prompts really seemed to motivate students. I think they also realized that this is just a different way of learning. While taking notes is essential in a class like AP Biology, it was nice to see them get so into the idea of growing plants. I keep telling them that I am trying to subconsciously make them plant nerds who look for the things we talk about in nature and take "plant selfies" with them.  As a side note, that actually worked---some of my girls soccer players took selfies with male and female pine cones as well as lichens on their trip to Stone Mountain, GA, so I guess I'm doing something right! :)


4 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a fun PBL unit! I'm also very impressed with your ideas for additional "phases." Do you think you will have time to implement all of them before the school year? Are you teaching other AP standards in the meantime, while they are completing this PBL? I'll have to talk to you about this one next week we see each other because I am intrigued. Great job incorporating a gallery walk, and how cool to see students taking their learning outside of the classroom with their plant selfies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you threw the competetive component into the unit. My personal belief, if we want the best products that students can produce, then a competetive edge is one manner in which to produce good results. In my opinion, students completing an activity for the grade produces mediocre results with little creativety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our units are very similar!! Next year we should totally team up and collaborate. I love all the phases you have incorporated-phase 2 and Phase 3 sound so fun and engaging. I want to come join your class...maybe then I could keep some plants alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeneane,
    I cracked up when I read about the pine cone and lichen selfies that happened on your field trip. I am also excited about the level of enthusiasm your students have for this pbl as opposed to the fall when there was a little more anxiety over their projects. I think part of this is due to the collaboration, the choice, and to the competition of the pbl that you have provided in the plant pbl. Students were very receptive to the idea that they would choose their plant and their variables and would do this experiment at home working to grow the largest harvest. I can't wait to see what group's plant grows the best. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete