Thursday, March 2, 2017

Class 3 - Blog #2

I don't know if you noticed, but this blog is being posted on the same day as my "Tears of Our Forefathers" blog #1. So, I just want to say, even though I'm really struggling with collaboration and a cooperative classroom atmosphere, at the same time, I believe I have grown and gotten better in three areas: students developing the Need 2 Knows, assessing concepts learned throughout the process and project, and providing feedback to students (not necessarily students giving the feedback - see previous post - but me giving the feedback).
Something that stood out to me at JL Mann is that one of the math teachers said they had their students take the same tests that students not in the NewTech program take. This proves to the students and other teachers that these students are learning at least the same concepts as are taught in traditional classrooms. I love this idea and feel very validated when my students, now, take a similar quiz or test that students in other classes take. They may not do better, but they are performing at least on the same level as other students. However, they actually learn a lot more - as we all know. This has been a revelation to me. It has been as if the heavens opened up, a holy light shone down on my classroom, and the angels broke into the hallelujah chorus. And then, the Lord said, "Karen, PBL is awesome. No validation needed, but just in case, you're kids are rocking it in this area." Thank you, Lord. Amen. (I hope these last statements are not misconstrued. I am a God-fearing woman, but I do believe He has a sense of humor - I mean He created us. Also, when I conduct my class in a PBL fashion, I believe I am working as if for the Lord. We all are.)

2 comments:

  1. As teachers, I think it is so important that we are able to recognize our areas of growth/strength. I know I often tend to focus on what is going wrong or on areas where I need to make improvements ... but there is no way that everything is going to go as planned during our first year of implementation... or ever for that matter. I am glad that you were able to find some validation after our visit to J.L. Mann. Your students are learning the required content, and they are also getting opportunities to practice world class skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crossley, I absolutely love how you think. You never stay down too long and you take what you learn, what you experience, the good/the bad/the ugly and you sift it through a reflective practice considering what is working and what isn't and why and then you think about what you can do about it. This is what researchers call "efficacy" in the profession. And you have it my friend and I am so very thankful you do because you are helping build it in our students. You are absolutely right in that having common benchmarks across pbl and non pbl classes helps ensure equity of instruction and it also provides teachers with quantitative data (you are right the qualitative data shows how much more students learn) that provides evidence of the content students learn. The actual pbl process and projects show evidence of how they can use it and apply it in real world, relevant situations. I am glad that you had your revelation and I am thankful that it has reaffirmed not only pbl but also your work as an educator. I believe in you! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete