Monday, February 27, 2017

Group Contracts...Where Have You Been All My Life?


After our visit at J.L. Mann, I knew I wanted to try group contracts.  My social second graders thrive with group activities and collaboration, but often struggle with staying on task.  Before allowing students to pick their project groups, I presented the contract to the class, and we discussed the importance and components.  I was amazed at how students would NOT pick to work with their friends because they knew they would not be able to follow the rules.  One student said, “I can’t work with her because I just can’t control my talking when I am around her.” And another student said, “If I work with him he will want to do all the work and I want to have my input.”  My students GOT IT!  They understood the importance of working together and taking the contract seriously!  Fast forward to today—the day contracts were presented and rules had to be made.  Each group worked hard to generate rules that were important to them, and would help them be successful.  This one piece of paper allowed my students ownership and control, not just in how to present their information, but also in how they would work together!  I am so glad I decided to try these out and they will definitely be a part of my future project.          

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you had success with the group contracts. It is amazing that 2nd graders can take ownership of their responsibilities within collaborative groups. Since I was in the middle of my PBL when we visited J.L. Mann, I decided not to introduce group contracts with my classes. A lot of the issues that your students discussed with you are the exact issues I faced during my PBL. Some groups could not stay on task, while others fought over whose ideas were better. You've given me the confidence to try out group contracts next time I put students in extended collaborative groups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey!!! I am celebrating with you! I am so glad to hear that our visit to J.L.Mann was helpful in providing you with the opportunity to "see" students create their own group contracts and then use them to help define their group expectations for individual responsibilities and overall outcomes for the unit. I appreciate how you took this concept and modified it to fit your second grade students' needs in your current pbl unit. I know when I observed them working in their launch to investigate the crime scene and then use their inferential reading skills to determine what the pbl focus was from the clues in their "cold case files" they were working together effectively. Identifying the expectations for group talk, partner talk,and teacher talk was helpful. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Group contracts are amazing. I agree with you that this single piece of paper can make a huge impact on a project as it allows students to take more control and ownership. I used group contracts with my fall pbl project and found great success with it. The student held each other accountable and worked better together. I did not use group contracts with my spring pbl, and I wish I had. I had to 'fast-track' my project somewhat and did not give my students a lot of time to work on the group component, and found that they had a much more difficult time staying focused. I have learned from my mistake though and will definitely go back to use group contracts. So glad you found success in them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey...my Harris sister!!! I totally agree. I must say group contracts have to be used more in my life. I think if I use them at the beginning of the year next year it will get my students in the routine of working together withing their own boundaries. They can come up with their own rules and it won't sound so bad when I call them out on their mistakes. They will have the voice and choice of their groups.

    ReplyDelete