Thursday, March 2, 2017

Helen Reed - Blog Post 1 - 1st Observation

For my observed PBL lesson, I introduced what the students were going to be researching that day through the use of a focus question. Their questions for the day were: ‘What is pitch?’ and ‘How does our ear perceive pitch?’ These questions were part of the students’ “need to knows”, in order for them to be able to produce different pitches on their instrument they would create. By researching these things before, when the students do begin making their instruments, they will already know what they need to include in order to demonstrate different pitches on their instrument. Student began independently researching using the Symbaloo page I created with different websites, while I began to circulate around the classroom fielding questions and refocusing students.

One thing which did not work so well with this was having so many sources. There was really only one website which was geared towards their question on pitch for the day, so many students spent so much time looking through all the resources before they found one with what they were actually looking for. The other websites in the Symbaloo were geared towards topics of later research. For the future, I will spend a few minutes before the research time talking about how we can figure out the best source for our research for the day (as Dawn did during the student’s research time) in order to help them spend more time gathering information and less time searching for the best website.

From viewing the photos and video recordings, I learned that many of my students did not yet know, or understand, what they were doing the research for. From two of the student interviews, both hinted that they would be making an instrument, but weren’t 100% positive. One thought that I would be bringing in instruments for them to play, which he said ‘I don’t know how that would be helpful.” Thinking back, I guess I did not make it very clear to the students what their project would be. In our last PBL project, the students had the choice of what kind of project they would create (a poster, video broadcast, audio PSA), so I wonder if because I didn’t give them this choice they were not as certain. Or, I perhaps just wasn’t clear when explain it to them. Either way, the students did eventually get it and enjoyed creating their instruments when the time came around.

4 comments:

  1. Freedom in research is always a scary thing when you're dealing with students. The internet is filled with endless amounts of information, but is also a cesspool of wrong facts or inappropriate websites. In the past, I've either given my students one central source to use or I've given them the power to search through Google. Both have their positives and negatives.

    One new technique that I tried was creating a blend space with about 10 different links that all pertained to the research they were conducting that day. This helped my students learn to use various sources to gather information, but also limited the irrelevant data. It also helped students stay on task and successfully complete the research needed to move on within the PBL unit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love about your post is how you said that not all of your students were completely sure what the end product would be or why they would be doing this. I think, as teachers, we get so caught up in the details that sometimes we forget to make sure to show kids the "big picture", too. I can TOTALLY see myself doing this. So, now I can make a mental note to myself that when I introduce my PBL to try to focus on the "big picture" side of things (including the end product and the "why"). I still think I'll have some students that will miss it, as you did, but it definitely helped refocus my efforts as I plan my spring PBL implementation. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helen,
    I appreciate how you spent time reflecting on the evidence collected from the observation including the videos and the pbl checklist evidence. You shared how you worked to create an effective digital repository for students to research information about sound but realized during the lesson that focusing students' research on the specific need to know/focus of the day, "pitch" would have been helpful in helping them to narrow their note taking and research on that one component they were asked to look at that day. I've seen where some teachers have been creating a daily need to know list, where they list student need to knows and cross them off as they get to them. With your fourth grade students it may be helpful for them to have that list in their notebooks as well to have a running record of what they are learning and to help them organize their notes. You also shared how you learned from the videos how you want to make sure students understand the big picture and their project purpose in future pbl's. I love Jeneane's response because that has happened in my practice before too...I, as the teacher know where we are going but I may not have clearly communicated it to students. One of the many components of pbl that I appreciate is how we are continually growing and learning along with our students.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for such a reflective post! I was just getting ready to give my kids links for an upcoming project and after reading your blog realize that I need to rethink my idea.

    ReplyDelete