Sunday, July 2, 2017

Sarah Golightly Blog Post 5

“What I Used to Think/But Now I Know”—Sarah Golightly
            Special speakers, interviews, skits, etc. are here to stay in public education!  Project based learning will bring enthusiasm to any classroom that implements it!  It’s so different, but the children will respond in a positive way.
            I used to think that students needed to stay quiet the majority of the class time, take notes, view a film, take a test and growth would occur.  Now I realize that a unit of study can spark creativity and draw children to dig deeper about a variety of topics.  PBLs will broaden a child’s knowledge because the content is not limited to a 300-page textbook.  Experts will share twenty to thirty years of experience on a topic.  That information will not be as memorable if it comes from McDougal-Littell or Houghton Mifflin.
            A PBL will guide a student to meet world-class knowledge and skills and life/career characteristics.  Excellent work ethic, perseverance, integrity, creativity, critical thinking, etc. will make a graduate’s future limitless.  The projects will stretch a student’s imagination and he/she will realize learning can’t be restricted to a building or a room. 
             Students will have to take ownership of their work.  A variety of assignments/activities will be used that will be so unusual in the typical classroom that students will have no choice but to be successful.  Using the silent debate protocol, an anticipatory guide, the two-minute assessment grid, the critical friends protocol, etc. will prompt a reluctant student to participate, receive positive assistance and thus, improve his/her grade.  Due to collaboration and teamwork, no one is left alone and floundering with a massive unit due. 
            I have never thought about a project having real world impact.  Having that element is what affected my project the most.  I know this will add excitement to the assignments the students are given.  Hopefully, creating a Kahoot game that will be used by their teachers this year, formulating a brochure for a relative about a chronic illness, and learning about nutrition will whet their enthusiasm for the next assignment in project-based learning.













3 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah! I love that you shared that you thought that the classroom was where students needed to be quiet, take notes ect. I too used to feel this way. I thought that the ones that were looking at me and quiet were the ones learning. I have truly reflected on the traditional model throughout this week and agree with you that students have to take ownership over their work and see the real world application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of these statements. I too also use to think this. It's important for us to cater to all the diversity in our students, and I believe PBL will help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    It is clear from your last blog post that you understand the effective components of project based learning and have worked to include them in meaningful ways in your fall pbl unit. I love the choice you are providing to your students and the multi-disciplinary projects that they will have opportunities to learn in ongoing ways throughout their Hatchet pbl. I can't wait to see what they will create.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete