Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Emily Waddill Course 3 Post 1

I saw very many great things happening at Emerald High School today and several ideas that I would like to try out in my own classroom. It is truly evident how the whole staff has come together to embrace PBL within their school and made a community with the students and teachers collaborating. Something that I didn't really focus on in my last PBL unit was the soft skills. I was so focused on what I had to do and what the students needed to do that the soft skills fell on the back burner. I really want to discuss with the students how working together benefits them and that we're trying to improve our soft skills to be college and career ready. I also plan on giving the true colors personality assessment at the beginning of next year and using group contracts more often with my students along with work contracts so that we can use our class time most efficiently.

3 comments:

  1. Emily,
    I couldn't agree with you more about how it was very evident that the staff embrace Project Based Learning. Like you, I think I have not been a successful when building upon the soft skills. The content drives the process more than it should because soft skills are just as valuable. The way they had students building a strong foundation with soft skills I think has paved the way for PBL to be effortless in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,
    I am glad that you found the visit to Emerald High School beneficial. Like you, I was intrigued by the ELA color personality test, but what I found to be most impactful wasn't the test itself, but how the teacher used the students' self-assessments about their personality types to group them but also to teach them that everyone is different and we need to appreciate those differences in the group because each group member has something unique to offer. I found an online template for the color personality test that we could use and shared the link on the comment I made to Taylor's post. Check it out and let me know your thoughts.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to teach soft skills when also teaching the content. I find myself doing the same thing, putting those things on the back burner. However, as teachers we are now teachers of both content and soft skills and it is important for us to teach those.

    ReplyDelete