Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Makisha Fowler-Miller Reflection on Emerald High School Blog 1

I really enjoyed Emerald High School. When going in I really did not know what to expect. I was excited to see students eagerly engaged in the lesson. My favorite part of my visit was the color personality grouping. I love the fact that the students were being taken out of their comfort zone. I plan on utilizing this concept in my room. I also enjoyed the fact that the students in the Coding class seemed to be so knowledgeable. I am so amazed by what Emerald High School is doing.

What I am excited about the most.......Robert has finally turned on the light for me to what a PBL lesson should look like. I talked with him and he is okay with me coming to his class and getting some pointers. I am so excited! I really was still confused about what a math PBL should look like. Todays briefing and reflections have really helped me a lot!

2 comments:

  1. I was also impressed by everything we saw and heard during our school visit to Emerald High. They truly have a culture of learning. I am also interested in using personality traits to group my students. I am eager to see how that turns out. Let us know how it works for you. I'm so happy that you feel better about PBL in math! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Makisha,
    I am glad that you found the visit to Emerald High School helpful. Like you I was intrigued by how the ELA teacher used the color coded personality tests to help group students and help them understand each other's personalities more effectively. Check out the link I shared on Taylor's post that has a similar personality test that you could use with students.
    I am glad that Robert's presentation on flexible work contracts was helpful and that you have scheduled an observation soon. I am glad that having colleagues who teach math and are also on this pbl implementation journey has been a support to you.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete