Friday, February 2, 2018

Taylor Thomas - Course 3: Blog 1

Post Observation of class visit on 1-25-18


Dawn visited my classroom when students were creating driving questions for their research on a global issue. She provided them with a mini lesson on creating driving questions and reviewed their work contract with them. After Dawn’s mini lesson, students had time to write their driving question. Most students were already on the right track with creating their question and some needed more guidance. Students worked together which helped them bounce ideas off each other before coming to us with questions. Students came to Dawn or me for assistance and to have their driving question approved. We were a little crunched for time and some needed to work on this again the next day. Overall, this class time was successful. Students were prepared for the next day and understood their expectations for the unit. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Taylor,
    I enjoyed working with your students on using work contracts to help focus their work time and guide them through possibilities for support. I am glad that this was successful in helping students understand the expectations for the unit. Tell me what your thoughts are on using work contracts. Would you use these in the future? If so, what components would your next contract entail?

    Thanks,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of a work contract. I think I can use them most beneficially the way I have used rubrics, checklists, and timelines in the past. Each time a work contract is used it has to be tailored for the specific lesson or unit. I'm thinking of creating a work contract for TDA to help students break apart their writing, stay on track and maybe not be so overwhelmed with the TDA writing process. It would include all the parts of the writing process as well as how to approach a TDA writing.

      Delete