Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Rachael Le Mee's Video Analysis

Rachael’s Video Selfie
Piece of Evidence
Importance
Context
Connections
Next Steps
The majority of my students seemed engaged during the independent work time. (This surprised me, but I was glad to see it!)
The fact that the students were engaged means that they are learning and confident about what to do.
-Kids are working on Growth vs. Fixed mindset hyperdocs on their personal laptops.
-Students are at tables, so typically a whole table is off-track or on-track, and the kids influence each other quite a bit in their efforts.
-Another important element is that this activity had a lot of novelty for them. Novelty leads to higher engagement.
Student engagement and opportunities for active learning are necessary for students to grow and process new information. By letting students explore a curated set of resources about growth mindset, they could learn about themselves, their mindset, and reflect on how it is similar to or different from the mindset of others.

ELA Communication Standard 1.5
Review and reflect upon the main ideas expressed to demonstrate an understanding of diverse perspectives.
Plan more hyperdoc and workshop type lessons for my students. They are proving to me that they can not only handle these types of personalized learning pathways, but they also enjoy them and engage them.

Plan seats very deliberately so that students can boost each other’s efforts to stay on-track and engaged in learning.
I got in a lot of questions and one-on-one time touching base with students, but it was almost always the “squeaky wheel” students.  
I am neglecting huge portions of my class because they are quiet!!! The students with their hands raised are in obvious need. Many others probably struggled quietly (like my boy who barely speaks English). Others could have used the check-in of me just swinging by and asking, “How’s it going?”
There are a whole lot of us in one “fluid” room, and with kids moving at different paces (which is a great thing for them), I wasn’t as in-touch as I could have been. Also, with their technology, I found several navigating between gaming screens and the hyperdoc, and probably would have caught it sooner if I were checking in with EVERYone, not just the vocal kids.
Strong teachers “manage by wandering around.” I was wandering around, but not intentionally enough. I was being more reactive than proactive.
I need to come up with some sort of plan for ensuring that I’m touching base with every student every block, not just my vocal students. Maybe a checklist of sorts on a clipboard I could carry! I could also write the names of my quietest students at the top of the list to make SURE I get to them each class.
My mini-lesson was mini, and my kids still “got it.”
I talk WAY TOO MUCH most of the time, and this proves that, even with a short intro, the kids can get rolling!
I’m often so worried about everyone “getting it” that I beat a dead horse. Less is more when it comes to direct instruction, and in this video I see the proof of that.
The workshop model WORKS for my class. My lengthy lectures and explanations do not. I have been trying to figure out how to harness the power of workshops in Character Ed, and when I devoted this profuse amount of time up front to planning how it would work using hyperdocs, it did!
More mini, less maxi when lesson planning! Devote more time up front in planning to increase time spent with students in the driver seat after.

Initial notes and observations:

  1. My kids (for the most part) were very engaged with the Hyperdoc/workshop-type model of learning. That is encouraging and validates that I need to be creating more personalized learning pathways for my students.
  2.  
  3. Utilizing district technology/knowing its limits is new for me having been in private school the past three years. I realized in class that some videos were viewable by my students, and others weren’t. While I don’t know the rhyme or reason for this, I was able to regroup on the fly before the next block, set up classes in EdPuzzle where I could collect the videos for my kids to see without difficulty, and prepare my next group accordingly. I also took steps to keep my kids informed and explicitly posted what they could/couldn’t work on in the moment so they could stay on track.
  4.  
  5. I talk to a LOT of kids and answer a LOT of questions in a relatively short time.
  6.  
  7. I’m getting there….. #justkeepswimming
  8.  

Goals:
  1. Check in with the quiet kids.
  2.  
  3. Keep it short and sweet when it comes to direct instruction.
  4.  
  5. Try to technology troubleshoot as much as possible in advance, and have a backup plan.
  6.  
  7. Plan more time for students to be in the driver seat via hyperdocs and personalized learning pathways.
  8.  
Rachael’s Noticing Rubric
Needs Improvement
Proficient
Advanced
Identifying What’s Important
I identified what was most
important in my classroom
and instruction.
Making Connections
I made connections between
important parts of classroom
instruction and principles of
effective teaching.
Incorporating Contextual Knowledge
I incorporated some contextual
knowledge into my analysis.
Drafting Next Steps
I generated some next steps in
my analysis and plan to
implement them.


1 comment:

  1. Identifying What’s Important:
    *In your second blog post you identified important observations: 1.) Students were engaged during independent work time 2.) Several students are not getting feedback not because they are disruptive, but because they are quiet. 3.) With this lesson you intentionally provided students with a very short intro./mini-lesson and they were able to dive into their work.
    *You determined these three pieces of evidence were important to notice because they had direct implications for your practice. The task was engaging because it held novelty so you will include opportunities like this for your students in the future. You made a point of noticings that some of your students that you didn't get to during your conferencing may have struggled and all could have used feedback so you noted that making a point of asking "How's it going? will be helpful in the future. You also noticed that the mini-lessons really do work and provide students with more time to engage in their work and this is what pbl is all about - building capacity for student thinking and problem solving.

    *In your second blog post you made connections from your reflection of the video observation. You explained that kids were working on fixed verses growth mindset hyperdocs and their collaborative groups really had an influence over the level of engagement as well as the novelty of the assignment. You also noted that the physical arrangement of the classroom being fluid in groups where students are working together and you are rotating around to check in on students provides for flexibility which is great but that this can also make it difficult to effectively monitor and get around to provide feedback to everyone. You also honestly shared that normally your instructional delivery goes on too long and how this video analysis revealed to you that students can get what they need from a shorter period of direct instruction in order to move on to their task application.

    *In your blog post self-analysis you explained the concept of growth mindset students were focusing on in the lesson and how you were asking them to compare growth mindset with a fixed mindset and how this connected to the communciation standard for your students' grade level in ELA because it allowed them the opportunity to demonstrate an understanding of different perspectives. You also made connections between your monitoring of student work time with effective classroom management and how being present with your students works as an effective preventive discipline tool. I appreciate how you noted that you want to be more intentional with your support of students during work time so it is more than just monitoring it is an opportunity to provide them with relevant academic feedback. You also shared that students responded well to the workshop structure of your lesson and you want to continue that approach.

    *Rachael, I really appreciate your thoughtful approach to this assignment and how you really used it as a tool to reflect on your practice and to determine ways to refine your instruction. You shared how you will continue to use hyperdoc assignments because of the increased student engagement. You also shared how assigning seats deliberately based on the assignment demands and anticipated student needs can help ensure productive work time and effective collaboration. You also shared how you want to create a checklist or a conference record to use during student work time to ensure that you are checking in with each student. While this may not be feasible for each class time, having a record across the week can help you see who you've already met with and who you need to check in with so that by the end of the week you have checked in with each student. Lastly, you noted how you want to intentionally transfer the workshop model of a mini-lesson with more student work time in your planning. I have a workshop pie graph model that really shows this in action from Cris Tovani that I'd like to share with you in our next class.

    ReplyDelete