Thursday, October 11, 2018

Kathy's Video Analysis

Evidence
Importance
Context
Connections
Next Steps
Several students were distracted before the allotted time.
Those students that had not studied enough gave up because they lacked resources to help them continue.
I gave them five minutes to complete as much as they could on a map of the Spanish speaking world. Then we would stop, make corrections, review, erase and repeat.
Some of the girls needed support to help them. A student suggested that they could look at a list of the countries to help with spelling and give them hints.
I realize that (in general) girls perform better without time limits. I should let them work at their own pace and use the notes as necessary. I was able to recognize this and change things up for the next class. Luckily, this was first period!
I don’t have students’ full attention when I’m speaking, and I don’t always respond efficiently to them.
One boy had his hand up for quite a while and I didn’t notice. Other boys engaged in a separate conversation while I was talking about something else.
We took turns telling about recent “lollipop moments,” to make positive impact on others and appreciate when people do nice things for us. It also gives us a chance to work on listening skills. (I say “we” to include myself.) At times I failed to listen, and at times students didn’t fully engage.
This was my boys’ class, and I think my natural tendency is to teach to the female brain. My voice is high and not loud enough, which does not help in commanding attention. Teaching eleven- year-old boys takes energy and enthusiasm that I don’t always show.
I need to practice speaking with command in my voice when my boys need to engage in what I am saying. If I move around more, that may also help keep their attention on what they hear.
No Spanish was spoken!
Nada.
In one lesson we were reviewing culture and geography with a map activity, and in the second video we were discussing positive experiences.
Although it is early in the year of a beginner level language class, there are some expressions that can be used to enhance language skills.
Before lessons like this I should brain storm some expressions like “¿dónde está? (“where is it?) or “cuál es la capital?” (“what is the capital?”) for the maps lesson, and any number of encouraging words (“¡bravo!”or “¡fantástico!” – etc.) for the listening activity.


Needs improvement
Proficient
Advanced
Identifying What’s Important


I identified what was most important in my classroom and instruction.
Making Connections


I made connections between important parts of classroom instruction and principles of effective teaching.
Incorporating Contextual Knowledge


I incorporated context into my analysis.
Drafting Next Steps


I generated multiple next steps in my analysis and implemented them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathy,
    Identifying What’s Important:
    *In your second blog post you identified important observations: 1.) Several students were distracted before the allotted time. 2.) I don’t have students’ full attention when I’m speaking, and I don’t always respond efficiently to them. 3.) No Spanish was spoken!
    *You determined these three observations were important because students that had not studied enough gave up because they lacked resources to help them continue. You also noticed that one boy had his hand up for quite a while and you didn’t notice. Realizing that students in this class did not speak any Spanish during the class period raised your awareness of the need to find a way to engage students more in application of spoken Spanish.

    Making Connections:
    *In your second blog post you made connections from your reflection of the video observation. You noted that some of the girls needed support to help them and a student suggested that they could look at a list of the countries to help with spelling and give them hints. You explained that this was your boys’ class, and you determined that your natural tendency is to teach to the female brain. You determined that your voice is not loud enough, and needs to command attention. You shared how you want to work on showing energy and enthusiasm with this class. You also made the connection that although it is early in the year of a beginner level language class, there are some expressions that can be used to enhance language skills. Kathy, while most teachers focused on connecting their practice to standards, I appreciate the insight your experience teaching foreign language provided you with what your students’ needs as learners are in your class.
    Incorporating Contextual Knowledge: 8 points
    *In your blog post self-analysis you explained that you gave students five minutes to complete as much as they could on a map of the Spanish speaking world. Then you stopped, made corrections, reviewed, erased, and repeated this process. You also explained that students took turns telling about recent “lollipop moments,” in order to make positive impact on others. You explained that this also gives the class a chance to work on listening skills. I really appreciated how you included yourself in these goals and honestly appraised your own participation in this activity and want to improve your active listening of your students.

    Drafting Next Steps:
    *Kathy, I really appreciate your critical and constructive analysis of your video observation and your thoughtful identification of your next steps. You wrote that you realized that (in general) girls perform better without time limits and you should let them work at their own pace and use the notes as necessary. You noted that you were able to recognize this and changed things up for the next class. Excellent! You also identified that you want to practice speaking with command in my voice when you need your students’ attention. You shared that in addition to raising your voice volume you also want to move around more to provide proximity to those who need to pay attention. Lastly you shared that you have concluded it would be helpful in future lessons to brain storm some expressions like “¿dónde está? (“where is it?) or “cuál es la capital?” (“what is the capital?”) for the maps lesson, and any number of encouraging words (“¡bravo!”or “¡fantástico!” – etc.) for the listening activity to increase student opportunity to practice spoken language.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete