Thursday, December 13, 2018

Ashley Blackwelder Blog Post 5

I used to think:

  • It's so easy to do PBL. So many of our teachers are probably doing PBL and they don't even know it. Give the kids some ownership over their learning and let the magic happen. 
  • If I could have my own classroom again, we would have AMAZING PBL units happening all year long! My whole approach would be different from what it was a few years ago.
  • I'll handle it. I can do it all myself.


Now I know:

  • Inquiry is not the same as PBL. Student-driven learning is not the same as PBL. It takes a huge amount of planning, prep, and oftentimes dumb luck to make the magic happen. Also, no matter how exciting the project is, there are still students who will need to be prodded along every step of the way.
  • If I were back in my classroom, I WOULD do things differently than I did even when I was discovering STEM/inquiry/PBL...but it would be extremely difficult to keep the intensity of our most recent PBL unit going all year long. It was special, and different, and--while worth all of the effort and frustration--exhausting. It also took a rather large team of us to pull it off. It's easy to bring in aspects of PBL to everything that happens in a classroom, but it's also important to give ourselves and our colleagues a little grace. Real life steps in and makes things so much more difficult than they seem in the summer, when we're relaxed and idealistic :)
  • The last lesson is one that I've slowly learned over the past few years, but have to remind myself of every time I take on a big project like this one. We can all pull off a PBL unit on our own, but we can provide much more realistic, meaningful experiences for our students if we can find our TEAM. Every teacher, every school, every community is going to have different resources, and it's important to make the most of them. One activity with a parent "expert," one donation from a local business, one administrator who's willing to let us take risks...these people can make such a huge impact on our students' experiences. In my last few years in the classroom, I FINALLY figured out how much better things were when I stopped trying to do it all myself and took an "all hands on deck" approach. We are stronger when we work together and support each other, and while our teams may look very different depending on what we're hoping to accomplish with our students, they are SO important if we want to give our kids (and ourselves!) the best possible learning experiences.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ashley,
    I appreciate your transparency with your final blog post for this semester and the time you spent reflecting on all aspects of your integrated second grade pbl focused on community. From the planning to the research and the field trip to the finished magazine product the pbl was extensive and intense and worthwhile, however you realized through this that pbl isn't the same as inquiry based learning or student driven learning. For it to be effective it has to be both and then some and with that being said, I agree with you that every unit can't be an intense pbl without time to reflect, to assess student needs and next steps, and then to regroup and plan for the next one. Most of all, Ashley I agree whole heartedly with you that for pbl to be most effective you need your tribe, you need your people, you need a team that understands the process and also the importance of pbl and is willing to join you in the hard parts to ensure that students and teachers have the best possible learning experiences. *This reflection could really be it's own blog post. I want to encourage you to consider submitting it to John Lamar's BIE call for pbl new year's resolutions on this link https://www.facebook.com/biepbl/ Scroll down and look for the Dec. 10 entry.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete