Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Tieraney G. Rice
Course #2:  Blog #5

WHAT I USED TO THINK:
Before implementing and completing my first PBL experience, I thought the PBL approach was only most effective in the upper grades.  I thought giving preschool aged children choices and a voice about what they want to learn about would cause utter chaos!  It seemed so much easier to choose the topics/units ahead of time.  This way, I would have plenty of time to gather materials/resources to teach the topic or unit.  In preschool, we have centers/stations and the children get to choose which areas they want to be engaged in everyday, but I never considered how powerful it could be to allow children to have a choice about topics to learn about.  Honestly, I've always had a list of topics that we would cover throughout the school year already planned at the beginning of each year.  File cabinets FULL of activities that I'd done every year (how embarrassing) but oh so easy!  And, I don't think I had ever thought about doing things any other way............UNTIL NOW!

BUT NOW I KNOW:
I was TEACHING while doing things the "traditional way" in my classroom, but now I can truly say that while implementing my PBL experience, I was TRULY EDUCATING.  Now I know that my preschoolers are capable of deep critical thinking when given the opportunity to do so.  I know that they have so many different interests worthy of  studying and diving into.  I now know that my students' creations should not look exactly alike!  They can show what they've learned through creations or demonstrations that are unique and different.  I have learned that other questions can derive from the main driving question, which encourages students to do some further investigations.  Visits from experts on the topic we were studying and a field trip are vital to the real world connection in this learning process, and being able to touch and taste various fruits and veggies was crucial to the students understanding of what the project was all about.  My students surprised me in so many ways during this project as I observed them and facilitated while they were engaged in activities.  They were able to articulate what they were learning to others, which was evident from conversations I had with parents on a daily basis, as well as during our end of the project presentation.  Their learning was also evident in what was packed in their lunchboxes only 2 days after starting the project!  They learned how to handle working with a little more independence on activities, and they are becoming stronger in their ability to work with a partner or in groups.  Having them bring various examples of fruits and veggies to present for "Show & Tell" worked out great!  I will spend a longer amount of time on the next PBL experience so that we have more time to investigate other questions that may come up related to the topic.  I will also have many more books available for the kids to use during their investigations.  We looked at many videos during our investigations, but for the next PBL experience I'll incorporate technology in other ways.
My assistant is "old school."  She has worked with teachers in "traditional" classrooms for 25 years.  Honestly, I was a little anxious thinking she was going to be a hard nut to crack!  However, after being a part of this PBL experience, she as well as the parents see the value in this teaching approach for ALL children!  I'm looking forward to officially being a preschool that uses the PBL approach!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Tieraney,
    I appreciate your honesty with your pbl journey and your willingness to share how these last two courses have changed your perspective on pbl from being a structure that was just for older students to one that is adaptable for your students and students of all ages. I am also thankful for how you intentionally involved your students' parents, your community members, and your faculty so that even "old school" approaches could see the benefits of pbl innovation and implementation. I can't wait to see what spring holds! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete