Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Kathy Feigenbaum - Blog Post 5


Kathy Feigenbaum
Blog 5: What I thought I knew/ What I know about PBL
Somehow, I was oblivious to PBL.  Last year I got an email about a PBL convocation at Furman at the end of the school year, and I asked around. “Buzzword” was the response I got. So, I signed up for the program to see if I might learn anything that would help me in teaching middle school Spanish. After the one -day event I was convince enough to sign up for the endorsement classes. It still seemed like it applies more to math and science, but I really liked some of the aspects. At least I can bring some of these (like student-driven learning) to my classes.
What I know now is that PBL is amazingly effective. My students were more engaged than ever when we were working through the We Need to Learn Spanish-Why? project.
I also know that there is a lot of time and work involved in planning such a unit. We need to have an authentic engaging question or problem to solve, student buy-in and sustained inquiry at a challenging level of work, technology, collaboration, choices, reflection, and opportunity for revision and the chance to show the product beyond the classroom. So much work that I think it will take much of my summer to prepare PBLs for the upcoming school year.
I would love to share this PBL experience with a colleague – either by level or by subject matter. I still feel isolated, and that makes the challenge more daunting. If I can overcome the hurdle of how to apply PBL to teaching a foreign language, I think I can handle the work that goes into preparing these invaluable experiences.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathy,
    I didn't know you attended the spring PBL convocation last year! Many of the teachers in the previous cohorts that I have worked with in Spartanburg and Greenville and Pickens were there as well as one of my colleagues' cohorts in Greenwood were there and shared their presentations. I am so thankful you were intrigued and went and that this event was a catalyst into you enrolling in this year's cohort. I have loved seeing your pbl in action when I was able to visit your classroom earlier in the semester and appreciate the relevancy of your pbl's driving question. I believe their research in this first project provided relevancy for the rest of the learning and answered their own internal questions about why they need to learn Spanish. I agree with you that effective pbl requires intensive planning and like you, I like to prepare for those during my breaks both summer and winter. I want to encourage you to share your pbl experiences iwth your colleagues both those in related arts areas as well as those who also teach middle school. I know it is difficult being the only foreign language teacher in your school but I know you aren't the only foreign language teacher who values the pbl process. I would encourage you to reach out to others to see if they would be interested in joining you this spring. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete