Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Alana McSharry- Course 2: Post 2

Name: Alana McSharry
Date of Presentation: October 8, 2018
Lesson Focus/ Topic: Concepts of Print

Evidence
Importance
Connections
Context
Next Steps
I observed that all of the students pointed to the word: I.
It is important because the evidence tells me that those students know the word: I.
PAS-T- Performance Standard 2: Instructional Planning- The teacher plans for the use of appropriate curricula, instructional strategies, and resources to address the needs of all students.
Students knew the word: I because students have participated in activities with the word I for two weeks.
Students can try to use the word I when writing in their writing journals.
I observed that four out of six students pointed and read the words in the sentence correctly.
It is important because the evidence shows some students need to work on how to read from left to right.
PAS-T- Performance Standard 3: Instructional Delivery- The teacher promotes student learning by addressing individual learning differences and by using effective instructional strategies.
Some students have not had as many opportunities to observe or participate in reading books.
During work time students can be encouraged to visit the book center and read with the teacher which should help them better understand how to read from left to right.
I observed that  four out of six students pointed to the left side of the page.
It is important because this evidence shows that some students need more time to learn how to identify the left side of the page.
PAS-T- Performance Standard 3: Instructional Delivery- The teacher promotes student learning by addressing individual learning differences and by using effective instructional strategies. 
Some students have just been introduced to the concept of left and right.
During writing time students can participate in different activities where they distinguish between the left side and right side of things.

Video Self-Analysis Rubric

Needs Improvement- 6
Proficient- 8
Advanced- 10
Identifying What’s Important

I identified details that were important to the lesson.

Making Connections

I made a connection between the lesson and the best practices of teaching.

Incorporating Contextual Knowledge

I tried to understand why my students performed a certain way during the lesson.

Drafting Next Steps

I incorporated next steps that would help my students learn the content.


Identifying What's Important: 8
Making Connections: 8
Incorporating Contextual Knowledge: 8
Drafting Next Steps: 8
Total Points: 32

Notes: During the lesson I noticed that sometimes I did not give the students enough wait time to answer questions or to do an activity. I need to improve in that area of my teaching. I actually thought I gave enough wait time during lessons but this video is evidence that it is an area of improvement for me. PAS-T Performance Standard 5: Learning Environment- The teacher provides a safe, student-centered environment that is academically challenging and respectful.

1 comment:

  1. Identifying What’s Important:
    *In your presentation and in your second blog post you identified important observations: 1.) All of the students you worked with pointed to the word, I. 2.) You also observed that four out of six students pointed and read the words in the sentence correctly. 3.) Lastly, you observed that four out of six students pointed to the left side of the page. You also explained their importance based on how this information would inform your instruction and assessment of student literacy outcomes.
    Making Connections:
    *In your second blog post you made connections from the expectations and student outcomes from your lesson to current PAS-T Performance Standards 2 and 3.
    Incorporating Contextual Knowledge:
    *In your blog post self-analysis you explained that you provided students with practice with identifying the sight word, “I” for the last two weeks so this video was a helpful formative assessment for you to see that all students knew the word, I. While students did well with their independent reading you explained that not all students have had extensive opportunities to observe or participate in a read aloud or shared reading. You also noted that students have recently been introduced to the concept of reading left to right.
    Drafting Next Steps:
    *Excellent job with identifying your next steps based on your video analysis. You noted that students are ready to begin applying the word “I” into their journal writing. You also identified that you can provide students with encouragement for both independent reading in the book center as well as small group and/or one on one reading with the teacher specifically working on tracking print left to write.
    NOTES:
    You wrote, “During the lesson I noticed that sometimes I did not give the students enough wait time to answer questions or to do an activity. I need to improve in that area of my teaching. I actually thought I gave enough wait time during lessons but this video is evidence that it is an area of improvement for me. PAS-T Performance Standard 5: Learning Environment- The teacher provides a safe, student-centered environment that is academically challenging and respectful.”
    I am glad that this assignment proved beneficial at helping you to identify areas of your instruction that are transferring to student learning as well as your next instructional steps. **My question to you is how will the learning outcomes in this video lesson transfer to your pbl unit of study coming up?

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete