Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Video Selfie Analysis

Course #2:  Video Selfie Analysis

Tieraney Rice

Mini Lesson:  "Wait Your Turn"

During several activities I have planned as part of my PBL unit, my students will have to "wait their turn."  This can be difficult for any child when they are excited about doing something, especially 3 & 4 year old children.  Therefore, I decided to video a mini lesson to highlight the importance of this particular skill.

*Evidence:  I noticed that I was doing a lot of the talking!  My goal was for my students to create more dialogue than myself.
*Importance:  It is important because the evidence shows me that I need to improve in the area of questioning.  The students will be able to offer more dialogue depending on the type of questions I ask.  They will be able to truly lead the discussion.
*Connections:  PAS-T-Performance Standard 2:  Instructional Planning:  The teacher plans for the use of appropriate curricula, instructional strategies, and resources to address the needs of all students.
*Context:  Since exploration stations have been open for several weeks now, the students have had opportunities to practice "waiting their turn" while exploring with their classmates. Particularly in the playdough, dramatic play, and cars and blocks stations.
*Next Steps:  The students can practice taking turns when we act out stories.  They can take turns being particular characters.

Video Selfie Rubric: 

Identifying What's Important:  ADVANCED

Making Connections:  PROFICIENT

Incorporating Contextual Knowledge: PROFICIENT

Drafting Next Steps: PROFICIENT

NOTES:  During the mini-lesson, I noticed that I was talking fast.  I tend to do this because I know I have a certain amount of time before their attention span begins to waver. I want to be sure they have an understanding of what the lesson is about, but I also want to keep a steady pace as not to loose them.  I also would have preferred working at a table for this mini-lesson instead of on the floor.  





1 comment:

  1. Identifying What's Important:
    *In your second blog post you identified important observations: 1.) You noticed that you were doing a lot of the talking! I appreciate how you used this information to raise your awareness of the importance of student talk and established a goal for your students to create more dialogue and to own more of the conversation. I also really like how you intentionally chose to provide your students with a series of mini-lessons on learning how to take turns. This will prove to be beneficial to them not only in your upcoming pbl, but in any collaborative learning. You determined this information is important because it helps you focus on improvement in the area of student questioning. I appreciate how you are wanting students to offer more dialogue depending on the type of questions you ask and work towards being able to lead the discussion.
    Making Connections:
    *In your second blog post you made connections from the expectations and student outcomes from your lesson to current PAS-T-Performance Standard 2: Instructional Planning: The teacher plans for the use of appropriate curricula, instructional strategies, and resources to address the needs of all students.
    Incorporating Contextual Knowledge:
    *In your blog post self-analysis you explained that students have had opportunities to explore exploration stations and have had opportunities to practice "waiting their turn" while exploring with their classmates. Particularly in the playdough, dramatic play, and cars and blocks stations. This embedded application provides students with opportunities to really practice taking turns while they are learning strategies and structures from your instruction.
    Drafting Next Steps:
    *Tieraney you shared that your next steps will be providing students with opportunities to practice taking turns when we act out stories by taking turns being particular characters.
    NOTES:
    You wrote, “During the mini-lesson, I noticed that I was talking fast. I tend to do this because I know I have a certain amount of time before their attention span begins to waver. I want to be sure they have an understanding of what the lesson is about, but I also want to keep a steady pace as not to loose them. I also would have preferred working at a table for this mini-lesson instead of on the floor.” Tieraney, I am a fast talker too and have recognized this from analyzing videos of my own practice and when I am aware and intentional about slowing down based on the pace of my students and not my own processing pace I am able to slow down my instructional delivery. A colleague of mine gave me a helpful strategy for this I want to pass on to you. He said after each instructional talking point to pause and count to five subconsciously before moving on allowing students to process what you shared.

    ReplyDelete