Thursday, October 11, 2018

Ashley Blackwelder: Video Selfie Analysis



Score (6/8/10)
Identifying What’s Important
  •  I do a LOT of repeating, restating expectations.
  • I came across as very impatient at times.
  • Kids are quiet, respond to directions, but not always focused.
  • I do a decent job of validating students' answers, even when I need to give them a little more guidance towards the topic at hand.
  • Our expectations for this group and their assignment are pretty high.
  • This min-lesson involves way more "stand and deliver" time than I usually like to have.

 Proficient (8 Points): I focused mainly on my teaching practice, but did have to fight the urge to nitpick the superficial things.
Making Connections
  •  Science Standard 3.L.5: The student will demonstrate an understanding of how the characteristics and changes in environments and habitats affect the diversity of organisms.
  • Social Studies Standard 3.2; 3-2.1 Compare the culture, governance, and physical environment of the major Native American tribal groups of South Carolina, including the Cherokee, Catawba, and Yemassee.
  • ELA Inquiry Standards 1-5; Writing Standard 3
  • Theatre Anchor Standard 1: Anchor Standard 1: I can create scenes and write scripts using story elements and structure.

 Proficient (8 Points): I mostly made connections between my teaching practices and the standards that I was trying to address through my instruction. It was hard at times to not try to justify WHY I sounded the way I did, because I knew about the students' behaviors leading up to the video clip. 
Incorporating Contextual Knowledge
  •  This group of 3rd graders has completed a lesson on tableau and explored a text set of Native American legends. Mrs. Register (reading coach) and I are working along with the music teacher to create an arts-based mini unit on creating their own legends. The students are researching odd animals of their choice and composing their own legends about the animal’s adaptations. They will share their stories through text and tableau.
  • On this particular day, the students had completed a shared reading of the “Wise Old Owl” legend and designed their own tableaus for their classmates to analyze.
  • This is not my class, and this group of students likes to push limits as far as trying to get out of work and wasting time. Mrs. Register and I both spent a great deal of time redirecting. We were also running short on our time with the class, and that shows in my pace and lack of patience for “wandering” students.
  • This is a challenging task, and we are incorporating social studies and science content, creative writing, and application of our new design process. The students are mostly interested (because their animals are weird and acting gives them a chance to move and play), but the research and writing will be frustrating to some.

 Advanced (10 Points): I can easily explain why I am approaching the topic/task the way that I am, along with my expectations for the students, because I am very familiar with the lessons leading up to this one, as well as the personality/behavioral diversity of this class.
Drafting Next Steps
  •  Slow down and adjust expectations as needed. Some students will struggle and attempt to avoid the harder work that will go into the project. I need to remember that this is a LOT of new content/procedures at once, and be patient with them AND myself. We may get behind, schedule-wise, and that’s ok.
  • Work with students to plan their stories and tableau performances. We are helping them to find interesting, factual information and turn that into a creative story.
  • Celebrate the positives in the finished products. Remember that there will be all levels of writing and performance, and this is their first attempt. Remind the students of this as well, when we share. The process is just as important as the product here.

 Advanced (10 Points): I began to adjust my expectations as I watched this video, because I realized just how challenging this task is. The activity itself is very much doable for these 3rd graders, but I have to remind myself that the process is more important than the product on this go-round. We've got our lessons/timeline planned out in a pretty manageable way, but it will also be important for me to adjust my approach and be sure to validate every student's attempts to tell their story in a creative way. They're doing great on the researching and recording information parts. The creating and presenting parts are still very much an experiment for all of us.


Total: 36 Points

This was actually not as painful of an experience as I expected it to be. Like most of us, I REEEEALLY don't love watching myself on camera, but I found it easier than I expected to really focus on my teaching practices and see areas of strength and those in need of growth. It was interesting to see if I'm doing a decent job of "practicing what I preach" to my fellow teachers...for the most part, I felt pretty good about what I saw. It also helped me to have a little more compassion for colleagues who complain about not having enough time, keeping students focused, etc. I'm fortunate enough to spend plenty of time in the classroom, so I get those constant reminders (and can now see the evidence!) that the struggle is real!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    Identifying What’s Important:
    *In your second blog post you identified important observations: 1.) I do a LOT of repeating, restating expectations. 2.) I came across as very impatient at times. 3.) Kids are quiet, respond to directions, but not always focused. 4.) I do a decent job of validating students' answers, even when I need to give them a little more guidance towards the topic at hand. 5.) Our expectations for this group and their assignment are pretty high. 6.) This mini-lesson involves way more "stand and deliver" time than I usually like to have.
    I agree with you that this process can be difficult in getting past the nit picky personal responses to our own practices but you did focus on the elements of your practice that are most important in order to reinforce and refine your practice.
    Making Connections:
    *In your second blog post you made connections from the expectations and student outcomes from your lesson to current standards: Science Standard 3.L.5, Social Studies Standard 3.2; 3-2.1, ELA Inquiry Standards 1-5; Writing Standard 3 ,Theatre Anchor Standard 1. *This list of standards right here from science and social studies to literacy and theatre shows the power of your integration and how rich and diverse the learning opportunities you and Heather provide to your teachers. I am thankful our students at FES have you to support their teacher’s planning and to help provide support for their learning in your STEAM lab each week.
    Incorporating Contextual Knowledge:
    *In your blog post self-analysis you explained that students have completed a lesson on tableau and explored a text set of Native American legends and this will lead to students having an art-infused opportunity to create their own legends. You shared that students are researching odd animals of their choice and composing their own legends about the animal’s adaptations. They will share their stories through text and tableau. It was important to note that this was not your class and that the students as a group struggle to stay on task. You wrote that you and Mrs. Register spent a great deal of time redirecting and this led to pacing being behind. I haven’t ever considered you to have a lack of patience but the contextual factors explain the increase in pacing at the end of class. I appreciate you acknowledging the difficulty of the literacy tasks in this unit, but I feel that it is a strength. Instead of the animal unit being “cute” or “redundant” from previous early childhood animal research units, this one is rigorous and it provides opportunities for students to apply real world inquiry, research, and writing in the project.
    Drafting Next Steps:
    *Ashley, you shared that your next steps with this class is to slow down and adjust expectations as needed and to be patient with them and with yourself and adjust the schedule/time frame if needed. Please know I have had to do this adjustment in just about every single pbl /integrated unit I’ve ever collaborated with teachers on. You also shared you want to work with students to plan their stories and tableau performances and to help them to find interesting, factual information and turn that into a creative story. I can’t wait to read their finished pieces! The work students put into their individual animal projects will lead to their fulfillment and I love that you have celebration as a goal of students’ products and their process. Yes!
    NOTES:
    Ashley I am so glad to know that while this experience isn’t ever one that people can’t wait to do, that it is one that was beneficial and that it not only pointed out areas to refine but also validated your effective practices as well.

    ReplyDelete