Sunday, February 24, 2019

Blog #2: PBL Reflection

My observation was last week, and I think it went well.  All of my classes enjoyed the lesson and seemed engaged in their discussion, reflection, and inquiry that followed.  I appreciated the evidence and documentation from Dawn and look forward to receiving more areas for growth and improvement!

1.)    What components of your second pbl plan did you target for improvement? 
I targeted assessment and reflection time.  I feel like I've already done better with the reflection, in that I've given the students both the time and documentation to be able to reflect on their work.  I'm still a work in progress as far as summative assessments--trying to find a successful way to assess my students in the PBL process with orchestra.
2.)    What components do you feel your students will be most successful? Least successful?  Why? 
I feel like they will do well with the composition portion of their project because it gives them a creative outlet.  I feel that they may struggle with the research portion and history because they  haven't had many opportunities to make real world, deep inquiries in their schooling so far.
3.)    What will your students need to overcome any anticipated obstacles?
They will need a variety of resources, opportunities to ask questions, feedback from me and their peers, and formative assessments/reflections to keep them on the right path.
4.)    How will students be provided opportunities for feedback and revision on their process and product from you, from peers, and from outside audiences?
We have already done some peer assessments, and all of their work is being done through Schoology, Google Docs, and Flat.io so that I have immediate and continuous access to any edits or changes they make.  They will also be a part of creating the rubric for their final product and will continue the peer editing process throughout their composition.
5.)    Are there opportunities for you and for students to self-reflect on their learning throughout the pbl? 
Reflections, Need to Know document, and group discussions

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelsey,
    I enjoyed observing your class during their pbl and learned a lot myself about the concept of "sampling." At first like the students, I too, thought it was wrong but then realized it really depends on how much of the song is influenced by the artist yet still original and creative and how much is really just copied. You shared how you want to provide your students with more time to reflect and I saw that in the lesson I observed where students began the day with an opportunity to re-read their pbl ongoing need to know chart and reflect on their current progress with the unit and add any more need to knows. I thought your decision to do this in an ongoing Google doc was smart because students had to scroll through your highlighted responses to their previous need to knows before adding any more.
    They also had an opportunity to reflect on their group response to the question you posed about the legality of samplings before moving on to the next steps in their ancient music pbl.
    I am looking forward to seeing how their rubric turns out and if they are able to verbalize collectively the key elements of the final project that should be included from the instruction and group work. Based on my observation it was clear students understood the concept of sampling and knew that each group had to choose a melody from one of their ancient culture pieces to sample. Let me know how I can continue to support your pbl growth.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete