Monday, February 18, 2019



Kathy: Blog #2

1. What components of your second pbl did you target for improvement?
- One of the areas I am striving to improve for my students is scaffolding their research activities. I need to design some generic outlines that can help students with direction in their sustained inquiry stage. I want to incorporate more of the target language, which should work out since they have some vocabulary and phrases to use now. I also want to work on ways to better assess their work. I love the "yet/not yet" concept.
2. What components do you think your students will be most successful with? Least successful? Why?
- I know that my students will be successful in many ways with this PBL. They will enjoy the voice and choice that goes along with PBL. The girls especially will really engage. The students will probably struggle with due dates, so will try to prepare for that by having a PBL calendar posted clearly on the wall.
3.What do your students need to overcome any anticipated obstacles?
-Obstacles that I foresee with some of my students are staying focused on sustained inquiry and research, reaching agreements on how they should proceed, and having patience with technology issues. I will be a coach in keeping them focused, a referee to help as needed in disagreements, I will get outside help when possible for all the ipad issues!
4. How will students be provided opportunities for feedback and revision on their process and product from you, from peers, and from outside audiences?
-Students will have feedback from their peers throughout the process. I will incorporate some informal feedback as well. We will do a gallery walk- that's a favorite - and they will have time during the last week to revise their work. To include an outside audience, we do gallery walks across classes.
5. Are their opportunities for you and for students to self-reflect on their learning throughout the pbl?
At the end of the PBL I want to follow up with a reflection time to see what worked (and what didn't work.) I am curious to understand my students' perspectives are. Sometimes it is very eye-opening!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,
    I appreciate you taking time to reflect on your spring pbl unit and to consider the questions I posed to help you refine your unit. You shared that you want better scaffold your students' research process through the creation of outlines, the use of yet/not yet rubrics and checklists, and incorporating target language. I would love to help support your work on this through our coaching cycle coming up in March. Let me know if this would be beneficial and I can help you with this when we meet for our coaching cycle.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your insight in number 5 about soliciting student feedback/reflections to get their perspective. So often, I think something was so great or that it went terribly, but the student perspective is vastly different from my own. On my Pieces of Me PBL (the second time I taught it with my new group this semester), I thought I'd given them a TON of time to do the project and create their final piece, and hands down almost every kid said they would have liked more time for the final piece!!! I was shocked when I read the first reflection on the process and thought it was a strange need, but it was validated again and again by their peers. Lesson learned.... ASK KIDS MORE FREQUENTLY FOR FEEDBACK TO CREATE BETTER EXPERIENCES! :)

    ReplyDelete