Tuesday, February 26, 2019


Kathy Feigenbaum 
February 26, 2019
Blog #3


Today was day 6 in the LA MODA pbl here at LCMS. We launched in with photos of teachers throughout the school wearing interesting fashion (yellow shoes from Holland for the Social Studies teacher, for example.) Lots of laughs and some feedback from the teachers that kids were talking about it.  Since then, students have been learning vocabulary words (clothing, colors, and shopping expressions.) They have also researched different countries and discussed the information they collected. Each group shared information with the class about how they chose the country they decided to pursue. They have practiced vocabulary and grammar and began to compile a rubric for the project.

One thing that I am happy with is the way that I organized the groups this time. They always want to choose their group members, and I don’t like it to be a popularity contest. So I had each student in the class write on a small piece of paper the name of someone they know is good to work with in a group project. Without telling them, I used the names to select “captains” and called the captains to select team members. They wrote their group number on a list next to a classmate’s name and passed it on to the next captain. Then it rotated around again until they each selected 3 people. None of the other students knew the order in which kids were chosen, and the captains were all good students and seemed to make good and kind choices. And I get to say that I let them choose their groups. 😊

Sometimes it takes a long time for the students to really get the fire going, and I wish the class period were longer. That seems especially the case with my boy classes. The girls are surprised when it is “already!” time to go.

Also, I think it is hard for the kids to have a clear picture of what the project will look like in the end. (Actually it’s hard for me, too.) But I think I have felt that way at times in our PBL class (makes me a nervous wreck!) and it turns out okay. It may just be stretching the comfort zone, but some kids seem frustrated by it. I try to reassure and encourage them. Maybe when I have one year under my belt (and some pictures to show) the students in coming years will understand better.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,
    I enjoyed our coaching cycle this past week and my first implementation observation of your unit on Wednesday. It was clear that students were excited about the opportunity you have given them to create their own market and to embed their speaking of Spanish vocabulary and phrases related to fashion and shopping within the simulation of the market shopping experience. I really like how you provided students with structured choice for their groups as well where you ensured a strong leader was in each group while also ensuring students had choice as well. I am looking forward to seeing their markets later this week. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I like what you did for choosing the groups, and I totally understand how hard it is to make the progress you want when you have limited time with them. I feel the same way when I'm working with a "borrowed" class! And I know the feeling like a "nervous wreck" is real, when trying something new like this. But it's also great to let your kids see that you're learning these things together. It helps them to see that example of not always striving for one "right" way of doing something. I wish I'd had a teacher like you when I was taking a foreign language!

    ReplyDelete