Monday, February 11, 2019

Spring Blog #1: Revisions on my PBL

Based on Dawn's feedback (always so helpful!) I'm using my first blogpost to work through some revisions to my PBL.

I'm targeting reflection and assessment as my areas for improvement.  I need to provide students with more reflection time overall, and also some guidance as to what they need to be reflecting on.  Also, creating assessments that give a concrete number value to a composed piece of music will be challenging.  I'm thinking a rubric will definitely need to be created, and possibly with the assistance of the students.  I will include the must haves and they can input the can haves.

I think they will grasp the concrete ideas of what pentatonic scales are, but I know they will struggle with connecting the music to ancient cultures.  They may not want inquire or dig deep to find information to help them choose a melody.

Feedback and reflection being my areas for improvement, I'm still trying to tie those in more efficiently.  I want to continue to spend as much time playing as possible, but they will not do written work outside of my classroom for orchestra.  Maybe I can incorporate it as part of our warm up some days.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelsey,
    I am glad that the feedback I provided to you on your spring pbl unit plan was helpful. You shared that you would be targeting reflection and assessment as areas for improvement and in considering this you want to provide students with more reflection time and more guidance as well as assessments that have a concrete number value. I agree with you that a rubric would be helpful and if you can build in time to co-construct the rubric with students you will ensure their understanding of the criteria. I thought the concept of sampling was a great way to tie in the music of ancient cultures with current music and I like the real world application of them choosing a melody to "sample" in an original piece. Let me know how I can help you with the co-construction of the rubric. This could possibly be a coaching cycle topic for us.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete