Friday, February 2, 2018

Sarah Golightly Course 3. Blog 1

Sarah Golightly        Reflection on Emerald High School

            Overall the students were engaged and participated in the instructor’s directions.  I found it interesting that several grade levels were in the same class though.  The history teacher had his students complete story boards and I liked that.  That is an activity I need to have my students complete also.
            I really liked that last year their PBL actually caught the attention of the superintendent, changes were made to the lighting, and funds were saved in the district.  That project was definitely real world.  How inspiring would it be for students of FMS, GMS, and DMS to have the same results!
            It was exciting to see all that Emerald is doing.  That just prompts me to think of all the other schools across the nation that are using project based learning.  I’d love to see the finished products from many of those English departments.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    I am glad that you enjoyed our visit to Emerald High School! I appreciate you considering what possibilities from what you observed could be implemented in your middle school ELA classroom. I liked the story board strategy as well and have used it before to provide students with a visual tool to brainstorm and think through their written products in advance. I also appreciated the authenticity and relevancy to their community that their end projects had. They really did enact change in their school! You mentioned how you'd like to see some other English pbl projects so I wanted to share with you a recent English pbl that is targeted to 7th-12th grade learners. Copy and paste the link below into your browser to view it. http://studentsrebuild.org/sites/default/files/BIE_ProjectFramework_StudentsRebuild_SECONDARY_FINAL_bv_INTERACTIVE.pdf

    Thanks,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete