Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Emerald High School Blog #1

Emerald High School was an incredible environment to observe. I was in awe of the support and collaboration that took place throughout the school. The culture of PBL was evident when walking through the classrooms on the schedule as well as the classes I dropped into without warning. I loved talking with the co teach math teacher about the various PBL experiences she has developed within the co teach classroom. These observations gave me a breath of fresh air and has truly opened my eyes and allowed me to see the potential that PBL has within a classroom and a school. I got to see students making real world connections and see those real world skills in place within a variety of settings.
Within the classroom observations, I enjoyed seeing the personality tests and how teachers utilized this method to balance groups and encourage conversations and experiences for students to work with people that have a variety of strengths and weaknesses that differ from their own. Students must have these experiences prior to entering the workforce. I often times have conversations with students after they disagree with another about how we have to work with people who differ in their thoughts, strengths and weaknesses. This strategy has provided me with an approach to becoming proactive with my students and teaching them about working with a variety of people.
I loved hearing from the principal and teachers speak about the path that Emerald has taken in order for it to become a culture within the school. I see the same potential within Fairforest and love to be within a school that is navigating the path towards PBL and STEAM. This experience gave me a glimpse into the future possibilities and invigorated my ideas and motivation through PBL.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah Kate,
    I am glad that the visit to Emerald High School was beneficial to you and that you found some take aways from seeing high school teachers implement various pbl units that you can adapt and use with your students in both your own classroom and in your work in inclusion classrooms. You shared that one that you connected with was the ELA student teacher who used the personality test to help group her students and to help teach them that differences can help strengthen group work. How do you/could you use this beyond conversations with your students?

    Sincerely,
    Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the personality tests as well. It was not a normal method of grouping, but I feel worked very well.

    ReplyDelete