Sunday, February 4, 2018

Savannah Griffith - Blog Post 1





Response to Emerald High School


                I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Emerald High School in Greenwood today. I thought that the students and teachers truly had a very authentic approach to the idea of Problem Based Learning. I picked up several possible strategies to begin implementing into my classroom. 

                I loved the color personality test from the ELA class and I really think that this could be a great strategy when I group my students for my new PBL lesson. I had originally thought I would let them select their groups but I think this could possibly work better. I am excited to try this method and see the outcome. I also really want to focus more on the soft skills that students need to be growing daily. I see how important these skills are and the impact that they have on a students future. 

                I think that I could also really use the large dry erase boards in my classroom. This could be like a drawing board for students to throw out ideas, practice drawings, and sketch ideas. I saw many new little hacks that can really enhance my classroom environment. 

                I also greatly enjoyed this experience because I was able to go to the art room. I loved seeing PBL from the view of an art teacher. The collaboration that takes place around the school. The projects that grasps students and truly engage them. I took away a fresh set of eyes for PBL and look forward to implementing them into my classroom! 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Savannah,
    I am glad that you found the pbl visit to Emerald High School beneficial to your pbl implementation. I knew that we wouldn't be able to see an Art class but I knew that you would be able to apply many of the strategies that you learned from the observations and discussions to your work and I am glad you did. I loved the way the ELA class used the color personality test to intentionally group students and teach collaboration to students by laying the foundation for the understanding that we are all different and we have to learn how to work together. Like you, I also loved the large dry erase boards. So simple, but such a beneficial tool. I am looking forward to being in your classroom this semester too!

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete