Tuesday, October 25, 2016

And the Ocsar Doesn't Go To....Video Reflection

My garden project at Dawkins continues to grow.  Currently I am waiting on approval from the principal and the "PBL" committee on the informational packet I put together for all the teachers.  All teachers will be given the option to work with groups of students on the garden design.   In December, as the community comes to the school for Christmas concerts and events, they will be given the opportunity to 'vote' for their favorite design and that design will become the Dawkins garden.

Since we are not meeting yet to work on the garden project, I choose a geometry lesson for my video recording.  I have found myself using many of the protocols introduced during this class, To kick of the Geometry unit I chose a four-square consensus.   The video captures the students recording their definition of Geometry and their opinion on why is it important to study geometry.  They also work as a group to form a consensus definition and opinion.  After the video ends, they use index cards to share their "I like" and "I wonder" statements with each group.

I don't really mind being video-taped but I do mind what it does to the students.   To get more of the students in frame, I had to re-arrange the regular seat assignments.  I really like my regular set up and this 'new' set up reminded me why.  Group dynamic (especially in middle school) can be a critical element towards the success or failure of the group.

Over all I was very happy with the video and activity.  There were a few items that I felt like I could do better.
- slow down my explanations - speak slower so the students have time to process the information
- have a "if you get finished" option for those groups that get finished quicker than others.
- assign different tasks during the consensus time (ex: dictation, script, timer).   Some students seems to just want to watch.
-leave the groups spread out in their regular places to avoid talking between the groups
- a student in the front felt like sticking out his tongue was appropriate behavior.

The elements that I thought were successful were:
- visual aids (on the board -out of shot) to help students divide their paper and keep track of time.
- fair amount of time spent with all groups.
- students had good ideas about the definition of geometry but showed that they needed instruction on why it's important.
- students were redirected as needed and encouraged.

I am looking forward to a follow activity after the Geometry unit to demonstrate how their opinions have changed.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Marie,
    I appreciate the update on your Dawkins Garden PBL Project. I think it is a great idea to solicit parent and community input on the garden when they are already at school for events. Keep us posted on the winning design and on how pbl is going.
    You shared how you chose to video a geometry lesson for this project because of the delay in the garden project.I appreciate you working to implement the collaborative consensus protocol in your geometry lesson and I appreciate the time and thought you put into your analysis of your video clip. You shared how you targeted slowing down your instructional delivery, providing students with early finisher opportunities that are meaningful and connected to the learning, and addressing the physical arrangement of the groups.
    Thanks! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete