Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Power of Yet/Growth Mindset Tedtalk

Once I got over the fact that Dr. Dweck delivered an entire presentation without once moving any part of her body other than her lips and eyeballs, I really took a lot away from her talk. It was steeped in scientific research, which is super important to me and provided a solid base for her points.

I recently read that many high schools throughout the country are doing away with awarding valedictorian and salutatorian to students in their graduating classes. I, personally, was outraged. Why would these districts take away the opportunity for students to earn such prestigious honors? The only reasoning I could find for this decision in some schools is that these awards foster unhealthy competition between students. I can understand that as I teach the STEM students here in district 6. Some (not all) of these students are "cut throat." I have had students and their parents crying over a 98 instead of a 100. I have had 2 hour parent conferences discussing what classes a student should take to ensure the highest possible GPA. I've even been hung up on during a phone conference because a student made her first B in my class. These are examples of fixed mindsets. I get frustrated every year with the students who bring me their labs or research papers a day before they are due and ask me to read it all and see if they need to change anything. I refuse to do this anymore because if the student ends up with less than a 100, it is my fault. They have this need for perfection - the next 100 or A+, instead of enjoying the ride. I find myself saying almost every day to at least one STEM student, "Well, you live and learn," or "This is how you learn and grow." My class and teaching is not perfect, but I do allow effort to be part of the journey. Homework is graded on effort, but I comment on misconceptions. It is then left up to them to correct their misunderstandings. As for the "let me get Mrs. Crossley to read everything I ever do so I can know I have an ace in the hole before I turn it in" problem, I have an idea. I may require them to let a classmate from a separate lab or research group read their report or paper and help them reflect on it. This could be a requirement for the first few reports and the first research paper, but then let them take it from there. I could also have them do self-reflections about each type of assignment for a grade at the beginning of the semester to foster the growth mindset. I truly believe if students enjoyed growing and learning more than the next 100, no school would have unhealthy competition for valedictorian and salutatorian.

I think sometimes I have a fixed mindset, thus the frustrations with some of these behaviors. However, I'm "living and learning," and enjoying the process - most of the time.  ;)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Crossley,
    Your first sentence had me laughing. I do want to remind everyone that I did warn you that Dweck is not the most animated or enthusiastic speaker (I know that is an understatement). In your post you gave some great examples of "fixed mindsets" you've experienced with some of your students and parents and how you recognize the need for valuing the process over the product and to value the learning over the final product. I agree with you and while I know Dweck's suggestions are important I also know that we have to figure out specific ways we can apply the suggestions for praising effort instead of ability and learning instead of talent in our classrooms in order to see a difference in the "cutthroat" grade driven mentality that seems counter intuitive to innovative, risk taking in learning.

    Thanks,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete