Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Blog Post #2-Agency

In my teaching career I have taught a diverse group of students.  Over the last 11 years I have had students enter my classrooms with anxiety issues, emotional disorders, learning disabilities, overachievers, unsupportive parents, etc.  and it is my job to reach each student and help them learn.  This “baggage” that comes with each student, whether positive or negative, impacts their ability to learn.  The power of yet will be a powerful tool with helping each student; especially your students who are quick to give up or the ones who feel pressure to perform.  For me the word “yet” makes me think of hope.  Students will be recognized for their effort, strategy, and process so it gives them hope.  Sometimes that is all a kid needs to know that they can succeed and be successful.   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lindsey,
    Like you I have taught many students with varying abilities and backgrounds that do impact their learning experience. I really appreciate your outlook on your role and how you believe it is your job to reach out and help each student learn. I share that belief and gravitated toward Dweck's suggestion of using the "power of yet" to help build a growth mindset in students through valuing and praising process and effort rather than just outcomes and final products. Thanks! Dawn

    ReplyDelete