Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The power of Yet---Jeneane Allgood

This was one of the best videos I have ever watched (that's why I love TED talks!). I found myself nodding and agreeing with Professor Dweck the entire way, as if she was leading a pep rally.  Because I teach AP Biology to upperclassmen as well as STEM students, I often encounter the student who has never struggled (gradewise) until they got to my class---and parents like to use that phrase, too. I loved when she was going through the typical student responses---shutting down, finding someone who did worse than them, etc.  I witness that all too often.

So, how does this relate to my classroom? When I hand back a major test, I first give a grade breakdown so that they know how they did compared to the rest of the class. The only real reason for this is so that they can't go home and tell their parents that "EVERYONE failed the test". What I try to emphasize is that I am looking for individual improvement, and I try to write words of encouragement on their test, like "Big improvement! Way to go! Keep it up!" to let them see that this class really is a journey, and I am really only comparing them to themselves. I want to see progress. I want to see them learning from their mistakes.

I really feel like some parents put way too much emphasis on the grades that their child is making that students aren't learning for the sake of learning.  Whatever happened to enjoying learning something new or trying something a little too hard (like what Professor Dweck talked about in her TED talk)? Today, I gave my AP Biology students a 10-point free response question from an AP Bio exam from a few years ago. It was on a topic that we had just covered, and I told them that I wanted them to do their best---figure out what they think the question is asking for and write the best answer that they could come up with.  I tried to be their cheerleader---saying things like, "Just do your best! You'll surprise yourself!".  And then it happened---a student raised his hand and said, "Is this for a grade?", and my response was, "Does it matter?".  No, I wasn't taking this up for a grade, but should that really affect your answer? Go out on a limb! Write what you think the answer should be. It's ok to be wrong and not be perfect!

I am really considering showing this TED talk to my AP classes at the start of next school year. I would like to start them out encouraging the proper mindset--that it is ok to not be perfect and not know everything. When did we all start having to be perfect, anyway?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeneane,
    I am glad that Dweck's TED talk was beneficial to you and that you connected with the issues of fear of failure or as Dweck calls it a "fixed mindset" in your classroom. You shared how you work to help students see their effort in AP Biology by pointing out their growth and improvement, not just their end grade. I like the idea of sharing this video with your students and asking them to think about ways they are challenging themselves as learners and working toward a growth mindset. Thanks Jeneane! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete