Monday, November 14, 2016

Blog 3-Collaboration


Collaboration is an essential part of PBL as well as a life skill, but it is one of the MOST difficult skills to instill in students.  After reading both blog posts, the three most important elements are:  teaching collaboration, group contracts, individual and team task.   First, teaching collaboration is something I do starting the first week of school.  We create anchor charts about group work, provide numerous opportunities for group work involving different types of activities, and discuss what we liked and would want to change.  I believe providing these opportunities from day one, and setting specific expectations has been one reason collaboration is successful within my classroom.  I can’t say that it always goes smoothly, or that everyone gets along, but with each opportunity students are learning how to work with others.  Group contracts is another element I find important.  This is something that I have never done in my personal classroom, but I feel these could take my existing collaboration opportunities to the next level.  I feel the accountability factor of these contracts could help motivate some students.  The last element I found to be important is individual and team task.  In a recent PBL, I have put this practice to use and have been amazed at the outcome.  Students are working together to research information and develop ideas, but they are each responsible for carrying out a certain task.  This has allowed me to see the students who may need extra support/motivation.  I hope to include all of these elements in my next PBL unit.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lindsey,
    I agree with you that while collaboration is essential, it can be difficult to teach because it requires both understanding and application with support and feedback. You shared how your take aways from the readings were teaching collaboration, group contracts, and a balance in our pbl instruction between individual and collaborative tasks. You shared how you teach collaboration beginning at the start of the school year through creating anchor charts together identifying what collaboration is. You mentioned how you are interested in trying out the idea of group contracts with your students and could provide accountability for your students. I'd love to see how you do this in your upcoming unit and how your students respond. With every unit we improve with reflection. Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete