Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Blog #5-What I used to Think But Now I know

After reviewing my formative assessment (pre and posttest on force and motion), students showed a tremendous amount of growth.  Students went from showing little to no understanding of material to 19 out of 21 students scoring 80% or higher on the post test.  Students were able to use scientific terms to explain answers, label pictures to show push or pull, and show where friction would be.  My students also showed success on our summative assessment.  18 out of 21 students scored an 80% or higher.  The summative assessment had students apply their knowledge of magnets and force and motion.  I saw the most growth with my students STEM journal and science notebook.  I used students STEM journals from an introductory STEM lesson and compared to their journal for this PBL unit.  Students showed a greater understanding of the design process and terminology.  I also noticed students’ reflection on their project were more thought out and involved deeper thinking.  I believe this is a direct correlation to the inquiry based lessons, in-depth research, and multiple opportunities for collaboration, that allowed students to make connections and think through what worked, what didn’t, and what they could improve.
While I already had a good idea as to what a PBL should look like and how it should be executed (thanks to the STEAM focus our school implemented several years ago) I still learned a lot through the execution of this unit.  This unit allowed me the opportunity to stretch myself in the area of planning.  I have always LOVED to plan and try to “out do” my plans each year.  Each daily plan was well thought out; which I believe helped make the execution so successful.  I feel my plans provided students with numerous activities/lessons where I was the facilitator and they took control of their own learning.  Students collaborated daily; and sustained inquiry was something I really focused on.  This class gave me some valuable ideas, tools, and tricks to implement within my own classroom and allowed me to get out of my comfort zone.  Critical friends and building consensus protocol are two prime examples.  Both of these strategies allowed me to try something new and provide my students with meaning learning experiences.  These strategies allowed me to raise my already high expectations…and my students soared!

Some areas I would like to improve are presentation, co-created rubric, and community involvement. After discussion and reflection on last year’s PBL units, my team and I thought it would be best if the students first presentation be to another second grade class.  This would allow students to have experience speaking in front a group of peers and know teachers’ expectations for future projects.  During our Native American unit students presented to a kindergarten class and discussed the contributions of Native Americans and how it influences America today. Since students have now had two experiences presenting to different audiences, I am hoping to expand this to school personal and/or community members.  Another area I would like to improve on is co-created rubrics. This will be a completely different way of thinking for me, but I think it will make it more meaningful for the students.  

2 comments:

  1. Like you, I want to expand the "audience" for my next PBL. I was a little nervous about inviting too many people from the community because I wasn't sure how it would go, but now that I feel a little more comfortable with PBL, I definitely want to bring more people in from the community.
    I love that you are going to try a co-created rubric! That is a big task, but it will be so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsey,
    I appreciate you taking time to reflect on your pre and post assessment data to determine where and how students grew as a result of the learning opportunities you provided in this pbl! I loved hearing that 18 out of 21 students scored an 80% or higher on the summative assessment and 19 out of 21 showed growth comparing the pre and post.
    You shared how this pbl stretched you in planning and helped provide your students with authentic opportunities for collaboration, specifically through the consensus protocol and critical friends.
    You mentioned in the spring how you want to work on improving the following pbl elements: presentation, co-created rubric, and community involvement. I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete