Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Video Self-Analysis-T.Harris

The lesson I chose to record was a follow up lesson to several Force and Motion labs and lessons.  The beginning of the lesson began with a short review of the forces we had studied during the week.   Students had the vocabulary words on cards and were asked to hold up the vocabulary word that fits the description I gave to them.  After the activating game, we then oved to the Plan stage of the Engineering Design Process.  Students were moved to their groups to decide which amusement park ride they would create.  Then, students used the consensus protocol to draw out their design.
                When first watching the videos, I was stuck on the unimportant things.   I immediately thought to myself, “why do you wear your hair like that” or “why is your sweater jacked up and no on offered to tell you?” I became fixated on my hands and how I used them to help me to explain things and held them weird while talking.    And then there were the frequently used words like “alright,” “aight,” and “and then.” I purposely watched the video several times to catch something different.  I began to think about things that affect my classroom and instruction.  One thing I noticed in this particular lesson is my proximity to the students.  I stood at the front of the classroom and did not pace much throughout the room.  My desks were arranged in rows, which may be a reason why I chose to stay confined in one area of the room.  There were typical classroom management issues that probably could be resolved with more pacing in the room.  I also realized that I didn’t give students enough practice when we were reviewing.  I only presented students with 6 descriptions (almost one per vocabulary word).  This was due to time constraints.  I knew what I had planned for the lesson, but I only had a certain amount of time to complete the entire lesson.  Another important thing I noticed that is relevant to my classroom and instruction is I called on the boys more than the girls.  I would address the male students that were off task even when there were girls off task as well.  The males in my class tend to be more unfocused and somewhat rambunctious so I think I focused more on them when doing the lesson even though the females were off task.  Finally, an important thing I noticed was the confusion some students experienced when asked to move to their science groups.  Some students were unclear of their set group for this PBL because we had to do some flexible grouping during “special” occasions. 

                This exercise was very beneficial because I was able to see things that I wouldn’t normally pay attention to.  I was able to think about my instruction all the time and make myself aware of things that I normally wouldn’t pay attention to.  One way I want to improve my classroom and instruction is to make sure I am pacing the room, but also include the instructions that I am giving on the board to reach both my auditory and visual learners.  While pacing the room, I will try to pay close attention to all students not just students who are typically are off task.  I could use a system to randomly choose the names of the students.  The student that is chosen could then answer and explain their thinking.  Another improvement I could make is making sure to give clear and concise information.  Students names can be posted to eliminate their confusion throughout the unit.  This reference would be good for the students who accidentally forget.  I think I could also give students more examples to practice with for the review game.  Due to time, I shorted the student’s review which is relevant to their learning.  So, maybe starting my review the few minutes we have to wait before our recess time, then finishing after recess could possible give me enough time to thoroughly review.  The video self-analysis was an excellent activity for teachers who have been in the classroom a number of years.  It gives the teacher a perspective that they would have never realized without this exercise.  I would be interested to video tape myself during other lessons just to give myself critique. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for giving us some background information about your Force and Motion labs that you did and the overall context of your pbl lesson you chose to reflect upon. I knew your kids would be excited about the opportunity to design and build their own amusement park ride. I like the idea that you provided students with content specific vocabulary prior to the engineering process. This helps activate background knowledge and build understanding.Your unimportant noticings made me laugh because I can relate so much to the “hands”, “hair,” etc.
    Important Things You Shared You Noticed:
    *Proximity to the students – this made a lot of sense to me and how much it impacted student
    engagement.
    *Give students enough practice when we were reviewing.
    *Time to complete the entire lesson.
    *Preference (male vs. female) – I know this was hard to see when you analyzed your video to see that you tended to call more on boys than girls in your class and how now that you are aware of this you want to be more conscientious of calling on girls in the future. I am glad you saw this but know that we all tend to do this unintentionally and that’s why objective feedback is so helpful in showing us where we may need to grow.
    *Confusion – You shared how you noticed that many times your students were confused even after you clarified instructions or content and how you wanted to work to provide visuals to your students and clear, concise instructions. *Next Steps –
    *Pacing the room
    *Clear concise instructions
    *Visuals
    *More practice for the review game.
    *Utilizing time.
    I am glad to know that this exercise was beneficial to you in helping provide you with an opportunity to self-assess.

    ReplyDelete