Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Blog Post 4: Genius Hour Journey - Brittany

I did Genius Hour for the first time last year, and my students loved it! I decided to do it on my Horizons day, as my students in Horizons were doing their own version of Genius Hour. It was such a meaningful activity to do on a day of the week when I couldn’t teach any new content. I have been planning to start it again this year, but I hadn’t started it before we were given this assignment.

For this particular assignment, I decided to do a modified Genius Hour and do it with my entire class.  I had originally been planning to spend a few days (the Monday and Tuesday leading to our Barrier Island trip) doing a Barrier Island Boot Camp to get my kids primed for their experiences at Barrier Island. I decided instead to let my students spend a portion of those two days working on an ecosystems genius project.

I began by leading a class discussion about ecosystems. Then, I showed students pictures from previous Barrier Island trips (focusing on wildlife, nature, etc.) and asked them to write down questions that came to mind. We discussed questions that students wrote and differentiated between simple research questions and questions that would work better for a genius project.
Students then got the opportunity to spend time researching. We talked about various resources that students could use for their research, but since this was a shorter project, students focused mainly on online resources (websites, Big Universe).


After discussing possibilities for how students could share their new learning, students chose presentation formats. I have students working on brochures, prezis, powtoons, powerpoints, and dioramas. We did not get to finish before our Barrier Island trip, but students are getting the opportunity to finish them this week.  This has really given them the opportunity to dive deeper into a topic that interest them. I love seeing how students have gone in so many different directions under one main umbrella topic. They are more motivated to learn, and they cheer whenever I give them time to work on their projects… and that makes me a happy teacher! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brittany,
    I like the way you were able to integrate Genius Hour as an entry event to the experiential education opportunities that comprise the 5th Grade Barrier Island trip. I appreciate the way you provided students with choice over their ecosystem topic using pictures from previous Barrier Island trips to spur their thinking. In reviewing your evidence of application in your Genius Hour folder in google drive I was able to view your Genius Hour flipchart (loved the pictures and the student friendly format that provided a seamless process for them.) The only thing left is to add evidence of student application of the project. This can be pictures of their work in action such as interactive science notebooks and pictures/examples of student products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you were able to integrate Genius Hour into the curriculum. I want to do that next. My genius hour experience was fun and after testing. The kids were able to research anything the wanted and it was a fun way to wind down after the long period of tested.

    ReplyDelete