Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Jonathan Terry - Blog 4 "Genius Hour"

After researching all of the possibilities for our "Genius Hour" project, I decided to use the redefinition level of the SAMR Model.  SAMR stands for Substitution, Augemtation, Modification, and Redefinition.  The purpose of this model is to see how technology can be used to increase student engagement and, ultimately, increase student achievement.  In this model, technology shouldn't be used as just a presentation method, but students should be able to interact with the technology to learn new information.

To implement the SAMR model in my classroom, I took a lesson that I present every year and decided to place the lesson on the website nearpod.com.  Not only does this website allow students to interact with the presentation, but it allows the teacher to infuse components into the presentation where students actually have an opportunity to augment objects on the screen.

The lesson I used was on the body shapes and movements of bacteria and protists.  Students were immediately intrigued with the lesson because they were able to view the presentation on their own laptop instead of looking at the Promethean board.  At several points during the presentation, I inserted slides with mini formative assessments.  For instance, after going over the three shapes of bacteria, students were then asked to use their finger to draw several examples of bacillus bacteria on the laptop screen.  The next slide was more application based and asked students to look at the name for strep throat bacteria (strepicocci) and draw what they think this looks like based on the information we've already discussed.  After each student submitted their drawings, I was able to pull up individual drawings and discuss them.  The students were so excited to have their drawings shown in front of the class.  They were actively working to make their drawings neater and more accurate so that I would choose their drawings.

Once we discussed the three types of protists, I then put up a survey and let the class vote on which protist they would like to learn more about (every class picked amoebas).  Students loved having a voice as to what they learned about in class.

Overall, I would say that this activity was a big success.  All of my students were actively engaged and were asking when we would conduct another lesson using nearpod.  I loved that I could get immediate data on what students understand without having to do a paper and pencil assessment.  To be honest, there really was no negatives to using this method.  I did have a few technical glitches with the laptops, but those were quickly resolved without an hindrance to instruction.

Although my final summative assessment on this lesson is not until Friday, the information I gathered from formative assessments show that students have a deeper understanding of bacteria and protists.  What used to be simply a "memorize this" type of lesson has now been transformed into a "show me what you've learned" lesson.  Using this model has also taught me that PBL practices can be infused into every lesson, not just larger projects.  I enjoyed using the SAMR model in my classroom and cannot wait to infuse more technology in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jonathan,
    I am glad that you chose the SAMR model for your Genius Hour project for this class. I appreciate how you used this model to provide students opportunities to not just be exposed to technology through teacher instruction, but to use the tech tools themselves as learners to redefine the instruction. You shared how students used nearpod to learn the bacteria and protists movement that you were focusing your content on. I love that you used nearpod to formatively assess students' understanding during the instruction through looking at how they interacted with the content, making meaning themselves through the nearpod lesson. My favorite part of your blog post is how you shared that your direct instruction lesson was transformed into a "show me what you've learned lesson." In reviewing your evidence of application in your Genius Hour folder in google drive I was able to view your nearpod presentation (loved the graphics and the student friendly formative assessments) as well as student examples. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you I have enjoyed reading your blogs all semester. You really have a way of capturing what happens in your classroom. Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into your lessons and sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete