Monday, October 9, 2017

Chapter 4 Post "The Thinking-Out-Loud-and-in-View Classroom"


Chapter 4 was an eye opener for me and made me question my teaching technique of my PBL lesson. I wish I would have started PBL by teaching a starter lesson so students would have known exactly what to expect. When teaching my lesson I was sure to ask open ended questions. I also tried to be more of a navigator instead of giving specific answers to their questions. I was able to listen to students working together and watch them figure out how to add up their vacation prices. I got excited at one point when I heard one student tell another that "you don't have to add all the numbers up, you can just multiply if it is the same number." They were teaching each other. I need to work with my students on brainstorming and have them learn how to distinguish what they know from what they don't know. I would also like to teach a lesson with a little more discovery just to see how far I can get students to think outside the box while searching for an answer.

4 comments:

  1. That's great. Sounds like your students are really taking to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when my students answer their peers questions. That shows initiative to learn from both of the students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way. I wish I'd created a starter project to complete with my students before beginning a bigger PBL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Makisha,
    I appreciate the way you are engaging in reflective practice with your reading of chapter 4 and throughout your implementation of your pbl unit. I agree that beginning the semester with some smaller inquiry based learning opportunities that help build collaboration and critical thinking are helpful at scaffolding and supporting the first pbl unit of the semester. You brought up some great questions to consider for your students' growth such as teaching students how to teach each other. This practice is called reciprocol teaching. Check out this link for helpful strategies to provide this opportunity to students and to teach them how to do it. http://www.readingrockets.org/strategies/reciprocal_teaching

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete