Saturday, October 7, 2017

Emily Waddill Course 2 Chapter 4 Post

What I have realized from reading this chapter is that doing PBL for the first time with 6th graders will take a lot of modeling and scaffolding. However, I know that this will be a great experience for all involved. I feel that I need to provide a daily to do list to help students stay on task and help with time-management. I also really like the idea of students distinguishing what they know from what they don’t know. On the first day of the project, I plan on doing this activity with my students before creating our Need To Know list as a class. I really think that this will help my students form questions about budgets and being responsible with money. I also like the idea of Do Three – Ask Me so that students get familiar with problem solving on their own before asking for help.


I also realized that my project did not really allow students to provide feedback to one another and I want my students to know how to give thoughtful feedback. So instead of one group giving a final presentation to the whole class, I’ve decided to do the Gallery Walk protocol. I know that I want to provide students with a template/rubric to provide feedback. However, I’m not sure how to calculate each group’s final grade. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I have learned the same thing with my 9th graders. I have showed how to do every step for the project. I have learned not to assume my students know how to each step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,
    I am glad the suggestions in chapter 4 were helpful to you and that you are engaging in reflective practice with your unit. Providing students with opportunities to engage in peer feedback will be helpful to them and hopefully result in feedback that is beneficial to students' projects. I will be glad to help you figuring out students' final grades. I typically add a point value to each of the criteria components in the rubric and then adjust based on the performance levels. Is there a time this week I can come by to provide some support in this area?

    ReplyDelete