Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Clark H. Maxwell Chapter 4 post

Chapter 4 was all about letting students inquiry guide them in their learning.  I think that's great if the student is motivated to learn and better themselves.  That is what makes all of this work.  The student has to decide for him or her self.  In PE, inquiry can happen during a game we might be playing, or while watching another team play.  We call it scouting, or adjusting your game plan to get better results.  I's sure when we teach comprehensive health that there is some real inquiry, but there are some things we cannot discus at school.  The majority of my assessment is informal, and all visual.  I am always looking for better athletes for our teams, and many times these are the guys/girls in PE who excel and can lead teams.  The only hard scoring that I do is on the FitnessGram test.  We can't give a grade for these tests.  The way I've set up my PBL is to have my students go through various workouts for a few weeks.  This gave them an idea as to how they will need to organize their project/workout.  I thought that this would help them learn/see how they would need to organize things in the gym according to the space we have.  I do not think they would have come up with the same thing on their own, but I could be wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Max,
    I appreciate you taking time to reflect on your thoughts from Chapter 4. You shared how student motivation plays a huge part in their willingness to engage in inquiry based learning. You made a great connection how inquiry based learning in P.E. is when you are scouting the other team play and then adjusting your game plan in response to your new information about the opponent. You explained how comprehensive health provides some opportunities for inquiry but there are boundaries of what can and cannot be discussed at school. Are their opportunities for students to choose a self-selected topic within that curriculum, generate a question, find the answer from the approved text, and then share that in a quick write? You also shared how with your FitnessGram test students don't receive grades but they are able to create a workout designed to address the skills that the assessment showed could be improved. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete