Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Sarah Garner; Self reflection

Identify what's important
At the beginning of class the students did a starter on solving for slope. They had to show me through this formative assessment that they have learned the content that I have taught throughout the project. Also, at the beginning of the class, I strived to explain what the student’s end product would be. I felt that my students were unsure about why they were doing this project.

Making Connections
The students learned about slope the day before, and the next day we connected it to their project. The students learned that their slope is the combined income of their income and their partner's income. I have strived to make sure that what we learn is connected to the project. The students also had to make connections that their design plan for their house had to fit on their lot of land they chose. That allowed them to explore how to convert from acres to square feet.

Incorporating Contextual Knowledge
I used my knowledge that I have on my students and their ability levels to put them in groups. I also created a very structured outline for the students to follow because I knew my students have not completed a project like this before. I incorporated content knowledge with the students showing me at the beginning of class that they can solve for slope and made the connection between slope and their project. I used my PBL knowledge when allowing my students to be involved in collaboration when the students were working together to find a lot of land and a house plan. The students were also involved in sustained inquiry throughout the entire class period when thinking what will make my house successful using what information I have.

Next Steps
From today, I will strive to not answer my students questions exactly. I know that sounds silly, but I am striving to get my students to think on their own and be confident in their thinking. Rather, answer their question with a question. I know what you are thinking, “I can’t stand those people.” However, I feel that the students can answer their own questions with questions. For example, a student asked me if a TV can go in their 10 items they find essential for their house. I asked back, “If you are building a house, do you find that you will have to have this.” They came back with the answer no. They answered their own question!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    Thank you for your thoughtful reflection on your pbl implementation video/observation assignment. In reviewing my notes from the observation I agree with you that the beginning of the lesson was important because you were able to establish the purpose of the project and clarify how students were going to use their understanding of slope and the formula they'd learned and apply it with their house pbl project.
    Your preparation of the outline for student research as well as the symbaloo with the websites students needed to use to gather their information made for targeted research. Most of all, I appreciate your next steps. Using questioning to answer students' questions allows them the opportunity to think through it before we just answer it for them. This is one little way to help make a big impact on growing student agency.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete