Friday, October 20, 2017

Emily Waddill Course 2 Post 2

Video Self-Assessment Reflection
My videos were taken on October 17th which was the first work day that students had the whole class time to work on their budgets. The previous day most students were able to choose their job and find their salary for the year as well as their monthly income.

This video was focused on small group instruction of correcting the exit tickets that students did on Monday. While I was working with the small group, the rest of the students were supposed to be working on their individual budget. I had to address the class once because of how loud it was when I was trying to work with my group, but after that things were better. In a smaller group, the students do much better with raising their hands and not shouting out. I think I could have made things more engaging during the lesson by calling more students up to the board to do a step of the problem. That way, I could have walked around the rest of the classroom for a minute to make sure everyone was on task or redirect if needed. When students were working on #5 Carrie directed a student to come up to the board to solve it and see if everyone else agreed. She offered support and corrections with the small group. I need to work on being able to manage small groups while still keeping the rest of the class focused.

Self Assessment Rubric:
Identifying What's Important - Advanced because I highlighted important points during whole group instruction and focused on questions that were missed on the exit tickets during small groups.

Making Connections - Proficient because I could've made connections between what we were doing in the exit ticket and what the students would do for their budget

Incorporating Contextual Knowledge - Advanced because I focused on important parts of the content

Drafting Next Steps - Advanced because I know what I will change for next time and what I need to work on in future lessons



3 comments:

  1. I like the point you made about engaging students more during your lesson and the fact that doing so would have allowed you to assess and redirect if needed. It's great that you know where to go from here and how to adjust for the future. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,
    I enjoyed watching your video that Carrie took from the Google drive and reading your reflection, specifically what you thought went well and where you want to target growth. I agree with you that your instruction was driven based on your student need to knows as determined from your analysis of the exit slip assessments and from the content they needed to know. I thought your instructional decision of working to improve the content connections from the math to the next steps of their project would have been enhanced your instruction and helped students see the relevance of the work to their project. It may be helpful to think about each lesson's importance to their project and have that as part of your daily questioning so students are continually working to connect what they are learning in math to how they will use it in their pbl work.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,
    I know that you are a hard working teacher. I see you providing mathematical knowledge to our students. It is difficult to control two groups for anyone. Your lesson is one every student in the building needs. Funds do not magically appear or last forever. I'm sure the students will remember this real world activity later in life.

    ReplyDelete