Monday, October 9, 2017

Sarah Garner; Chapter 4 blog post

As I read through chapter 4 I came to the realization that I do not allow my students to do much inquiry. I am teaching them through a project, but I am not letting them discover the content on their own. I teach the topic and then relate it to their project, but I am unsure how to let the students discover this information on their own. For example, I teach slope and how to interpret slope, and then I tell them the connection. I am wondering how I can have them make that connection on their own. I feel that I am still struggling with letting go of control and allowing the students to be creative and think on their own. I feel that helping students with creating thinking tool kits will help with this process.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I am glad that chapter four was helpful in fostering self-reflection on the level of inquiry students are given in your pbl unit with slope intercept form. You explained how you realized that you want to provide students with more opportunities to discover the content on their own. This is a typical struggle for teachers when beginning pbl. One strategy that I would like to suggest is to generate questions that students then use to drive and guide their inquiry. Instead of making the connections for students, what if their path of inquiry that results from their daily questions guides them to it? I like that you are considering creating thinking tool kits as well.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great realization for you. I can see how this could be more difficult in math as well, especially when introducing new topics.

    ReplyDelete