Sunday, March 18, 2018

Emily Waddill Course 3 Blog 4


Update on my classroom management problems with fourth period. It’s been about a week and a half since I started implementing a group points system. At first, it took a bit for everyone to get used to the routine (myself included) and sometimes at the end of the class when we’re rushing to pack up I almost forget to write down how many points the group earned. This past week was the first for keeping track of the points all week long and getting rewarded on Friday. I think that some students lost motivation to earn points as the week went on because they weren’t getting a daily reward of candy for being the group with the most. So I may sporadically give candy to the group that earns the most or does a great job that day to keep them motivated. 
This week, my fourth period was actually one of my better classes. However, they have become very competitive with keeping track of the points and one group in particular is very aware of how many points the other groups have. I need to get better about jotting down the points on my promethean board during class and keeping track of how many points they have so that arguments don’t start to happen. A couple students in my first period just don’t seem to care about earning points no matter what the reward is, so I’m working on finding a solution to get those students motivated to behave. Overall though, I have noticed improvements in general with how students are behaving so fingers crossed that it continues!

3 comments:

  1. My third / fifth block is really hard to control. Additionally, they are the lowest CP class we have. Anyway, they were struggling with central tendency. So, I threw out aa challenge whereby I gave them six problems. Anyone who could solve four of them got ice cream. I bought 26/26 push-ups that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    I loved how you tried to keep the motivation going in your classroom. The point system should definitely "keep them on their toes" and promote a healthy competition. The fun you did was throwing in random treats so they didn't know when to expect it. I implemented just giving students a break during the PBL. If they worked hard and completed the tasks necessary for the days we focused, then one day they would have a break or I would incorporate a fun activity. This seemed to work will just to break up the stress and monotony of the task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily,
    I appreciate you taking time to give us an update on how the collaborative group reinforcement strategy is going with your fourth block. I am glad to hear that fourth block has responded as a whole to to this and that in reflecting you see the benefit in both rewarding their efforts and also being consistent with your record keeping with their points. I am glad that this has been conducive to their growth in monitoring their behavior.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete