Sunday, March 11, 2018

Sarah Garner; Blog 3

My coaching cycle went wonderfully. I had this lesson that I thought was good, but Dawn made it great. My students have been learning about quadratics, the characteristics of quadratics and how to graph them. The activity that my coaching cycle was on was transformations of quadratics. They will discover what happens when you add, subtract, or multiply a quadratic by a constant. I was just going to have the students get in groups and discuss what they see when they graph the two different quadratics. However, Dawn gave the suggestion of using a silent debate. I LOVED THAT IDEA! It helped me make sure that each student was involved in the activity. I gave each group about 3 mins to graph each quadratic and describe what happened to the function. Then I have them about 2 mins to come together and come up with one statement describing what happened to the function. What I wanted my coaching cycle to help me with was making sure that each student was involved, and it helped a lot. Also, after the lesson I gave the students 10 minutes to work on their classwork assignment, practicing what they just learning. If they had at least 5 problems done and the 10 minutes was up, they had 3 options. They could either work with a partner, work on their own, or come to me and I reteach the information. The students liked the variety of options they could chose from.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I enjoyed our coaching cycle as well and am glad that your outcomes of the silent debate strategy were what you expected. From my observation student engagement was high throughout the lesson and it provided students with the opportunity to show their thinking and you with the opportunity to provide them with feedback. My favorite part of the class was when you provided an opportunity for personalized learning and choices in how they learned in the last part of the class where they could choose to work independently, work in groups, or work with you receive additional support.

    Thanks,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn always has such great ideas! I also used the silent debate with my class. I loved it although I had to keep them to be quiet.

    ReplyDelete