Wednesday, March 21, 2018

PBL Course 03 - Blog 04 - Smith, Robert


Reasons to Use Contracts in a PBL Classroom



I haven’t had a lot of questions about PBLs or Learning Contracts from other teachers. So, for the purposes of this blog, I brainstormed a couple of my own: a) when working in groups, how do you keep one student from taking over and b) how do you make sure students aren’t just doing nothing. These are completely legitimate questions that I have to answer before I design, or adapt, in some cases, a lesson. My answer is the template I created.



“Yeah, a template!” says the imaginary person to whom I am conversing.



“Hang on, there, Bob.” I’m going to go ahead and call my imaginary conversation partner Bob. “Hold up, Bob. Just because I’m using a template doesn’t mean that it’s one-size-fits-all.”



Bob looks at me incredulously and says, “But it looks good. I think I’ll just use it for everything anyway. Thanks!”



Bob, if it was only that easy! There aren’t any real one-size-fits-all templates. Or worksheets. Or lesson plans. Or toothpaste. Or shoelaces. Seriously. Those shoelaces come in different lengths. You really need to read the little numbers on the packages before you buy a whole lot of them. They aren’t really expensive, but who needs like seven packs of 24-inch shoelaces lying around the house?



Anyway, I digress. If using one sheet, form, etc. for everything, solved all of education’s problems, then I’m sure a famous scientist (looking at you, Robert J. Marzano) would have copyrighted it by now. But, group contracts, even those pre-fab ones you can just Google and print, are essential to the PBL environment. They set learner expectations and help to manage the students, or little people, who are learning how to be adults, or big people, in the world. Also, just like everything else in PBL, it’s about learning by doing. Or, learning through failure. Or, learning when you never imagined a situation arise in your planning and you have to adapt on the fly. It’s all about having three kids and no money when all you want is three money and no kids. (Thanks, Homer!) Seriously, though, it is really all about being student-centered, being responsive to your own little classroom community. Therefore, it is really rare when one-size ever fits-all.



Oh, look. Bob’s back. He’s sad. He tried to use a template and ended up catching his room on fire. I do not have any idea how that happened, I just know that I smelled fire and saw him with an extinguisher.



“Hey Bob. Why so glum?”



“Those templates you told me to use didn’t work.”



“I told you to use…what? Look, never mind. Here sit down, grab a bag of marshmallows, and listen up. Let’s look at the why we should use contracts. And, maybe a couple of ways to actually get them to work.”



Why Contracts?

1.       It’s real life. Real life. Contracts are a part of our daily world. Better get used to it.



2.       Using contracts helps students to learn and to understand those behaviors which advance a group. Also, they learn those behaviors that may hold it back.



3.       Contracts let students learn to become in charge of their own environment and set realistic expectations for themselves.



4.       Students get a taste of what contracts mean and what it means if you sign one that you don’t agree with, and what it means if you break a contract!



5.       Finally, they learn how to compromise for the sake of the group and the work.



“So, there you have it, Bob. Those reasons why we need contracts and why we need different contracts for different folks.”



Bob looks at me sullenly.



“You still don’t get it do you, pal?”



Bob nods, left-to-right.



“It’s okay, Bob. You probably need to go get that arm looked at. It’s still smouldering.”

4 comments:

  1. LOL, this is too funny! I can really see you having this conversation with yourself. Thanks for clearing up some PBL questions for me. I hate I did not have the chance to visit your class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, great writing! You are right contracts can't be just printed off the internet. With my third PBL this year I essentially gave my students a blank template with key words and they had to create the rest. I added topics that I knew were issues in the last PBL but weren't included on a generic group contract I found on line. It's a work in progress. I also still haven't found a way to control dominate personalities that just take over in the group and silent personalities that say nothing. I guess this is how it goes in the real world. People have to find careers that they either progress in or move on to something more that suits their personalities. I just try to make students aware that everyone should contribute but maybe they do it in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not used contracts in my class yet. However, I completely agree that it is real life. I want to use them in my class one day. I loved your thoughts on this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert,
    This blog post cracked me up! I know you made him up, but I have met Bob many times and have done my best to convince him to try something new without feeling coerced. Your blog post offered several relevant reasons for why work contracts (either those already created or an original one) work and are real world. Thank you! I know Bob appreciates it! I certainly do (that along with your sense of humor)!

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete