Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Sarah Kate Higgins Course #3 Blog #2


Coaching Reflection
Working within a Co teach classroom, I was nervous about branching out to incorporate PBL with such a large group within a space and class that is not completely mine. Previously I implemented PBL in my resource classroom with a small group that I had complete control over. Going into the initial coaching session I was worried that I was not prepared enough and that I would not have a complete say in what we do with PBL throughout this unit. Another concern was maintaining student interest and focus during the independent work times. Throughout my meeting with Dawn I felt more confident in the PBL project itself, and the supports I created with my Co teacher. We decided that within the co teach classroom the students needed additional time in order to complete the project as well as graphic organizers for the variety of tasks and group work. These graphic organizers allowed the students to have an organized way of designing their instructional videos while continuing to provide a lot of choice within the project itself. The math instructional videos needed to have some examples as well as students explaining the process. We created a two-column chart that divided up “what I say” and “what I do,” that way students could think through both portions of the project. Throughout the implementation of the PBL unit I saw students grow in their ability to work independently and build their stamina due to the guidance and accountability we incorporated during the initial planning session. I gained confidence throughout the coaching session and I felt much better about my project as a whole after the initial coaching session.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah Kate,
    To me that was one of my challenges co-teaching in someone else's room. Although everyone was very kind, it can be daunting entering into someone's classroom and implementing something that you have created. Once I began working with my co-teacher and taking his inputs and suggested changes, I didn't feel that way anymore. I really felt a part of the class. It was also so wonderful to have another pair of eyes and ears in the class, so at the end of a day we could reflect back on what we noticed. Our perspectives together really helped shape the next day of the PBL. We would bounce around ideas to change like today needs to be a mini-lesson on research or let's just do a fun engaging activity. I wish more people we able to do co-teach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah Kate,
    I am glad that the co-teaching session you participated in with me was helpful prior to your observation and the co-teaching model was also helpful in providing support to both the students you serve in the classroom while working on their pbl and also the class as a whole. I appreciated the choice you provided to students with their project and really liked the "What I Say/ What I Do" chart that you and your co-teacher created to provide support and a place for students to hold their thinking as they worked through planning their scripts. I am glad that this project was successful.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete