Monday, March 12, 2018

Taylor Thomas - Course 3: Blog 3


Post Observation of class visit on 2-13-18
During this coaching cycle, Dawn observed my students researching and completing their final products on a global issue they chose to investigate. I met with students individually to give praise and feedback using “I Like, I Wonder.” Overall, students did a great job researching and thoroughly covering each topic required. A common component left out of student’s final products was a works cited. I also learned that students are still not paraphrasing information gleaned from research as they should be. Students want to copy and paste information rather than put it in their own words. We worked the following day on citing information as well as paraphrasing. Students also practiced presenting to peers to get comfortable with their information. One of my goals for students to accomplish during this PBL experience was to present their information, not just read from their presentation. Some students really excelled in this, others will get there in time – maybe. J

2 comments:

  1. Hi Taylor,
    I enjoyed this observation of your pbl implementation. I saw how you met individually with students to provide them with specific feedback using the Gallery Walk protocol they were familiar with. You noticed that several students left out their citations and paraphrasing. One tip that worked for me when conferencing with students is to make a short list called "Prominent Features Analysis" where I jot down the strongest parts and the weakest parts of their work in an ongoing list so after conferencing with students each day I can see overall what areas the majority of students did well and those that need support. This helps inform my subsequent instruction with the topics of focus lessons and support for students.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, that is one thing I have learned after having two PBL's in which students presented their projects and had the information they were discussing on a Power Point. Students tended to look up and read off the slides. Next time there will be no words on what they present to the class, only an image to describe the results and students must discuss what they learned without the aid of notes. If they researched the material and present their data, there should be no need to read off a slide. They should have it as working knowledge by then.

    ReplyDelete