Sunday, March 18, 2018

Emily Waddill Course 3 Blog Post 3

From reading the blog on “Scaffolding Student Thinking in Projects” my eyes have been opened to this very important skill that we need to be addressing with our students. I guess I just never really thought that thinking skills needed to be scaffolded with our students. However, now I know that planning specific ways for students to share and grow in their thinking should be happening daily. Starting with clarifying the goal is a great way to focus in on what you want your students to be able to express. I want students to be able to explain the steps they take when solving problems, answer questions in complete sentences and describe their thinking process when analyzing how a problem should be solved to name a few. I went to the visible thinking website and browsed through the different thinking strategies. There are many simple routines and procedures to get students expressing their thinking in meaningful ways such as think-pair-share, 3-2-1, and question starts. I really like the idea of using question starts to engage students at the beginning of a lesson and making connections to prior knowledge about the topic. I have gotten some good strategies that I will use in the classroom to help foster students critical thinking skills.

2 comments:

  1. I learned a lot about this in college and I truly enjoyed learning about it. Allowing the students to vocalize and discover what they learn will go much farther than just taking notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,
    I am glad that the blog post, "Scaffolding Student Thinking" was helpful in providing you with possibilities for supporting students' thinking and helping to promote depth and application of thought. You mentioned how planning specific ways for students to share thoughts related to their content such as explaining their steps, answering questions in complete thinking, etc. can be helpful at promoting thought but I also know that this can be a helpful formative assessment tool as well.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete