Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Angie Siegfried - Main Course PBL vs. Dessert Projects

A “main course” PBL contains all of the essential elements. Using this type of instruction is what is best for students, and the most effective way to teach process standards and 21st-century skills. Until now, my classroom projects have been the “dessert” of the unit. I want a more in-depth learning experience for my students, and my intentions are good, but I will need my peers to hold me accountable for the process.  Seeing the amount of planning that goes into a proper PBL, I may start to falter when the voice in my head tells me, “They need more practice!” As of now, I feel accountability will be the greatest support. My administration supports PBL and recommended this course to me. He will, however, want to see the data that suggests PBL will bring the same or better results than traditional teaching. I am excited about implementing PBL and will invite my school leaders to be a part of the process. I also foresee my colleagues wanting to be a part of PBL once they witness the excitement and enthusiasm I am expecting from my students.  

3 comments:

  1. Angie, I too have had a dessert mentality so many times in my classroom. I think up these elaborate projects for my students to use to present their learning while completely forgetting about the learning that happens along the way. I look forward to being able to take my data to my principal to show what/how my students performed versus how they performed on the same standards last year. More than that, I want to be able to show her the final products and/or presentations so that she can see their growth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with that voice in your head. It can be difficult to let go and give the space and freedom for our students to make their own mistakes. How rewarding for them when they can recognize, fix, and be successful on their own. Luckily for us, we will have the support team within this class to help us with the planning that goes in to the PBL for our first several trial runs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angie,
    You are not alone coming into this first cohort with prior experience with a "dessert" approach. This was how I began and it is a natural progression moving from the project at the end approach to integrating sustained inquiry and opportunities for critical thinking and application throughout. I am thankful for our cohort support not just during the planning but during the application of both pbl experiences because as you mentioned, it does provide accountability but also support and collegiality. I am thankful that your administration is supportive and I love how your enthusiasm and reputation with your team has already convinced your team to do the pbl with you.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete