Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Angie Siegfried's Blog Post 1

Education needs to be revolutionized. I agree with Robinson’s statement, “Reform is no use anymore because that is simply improving a broken model.” Our education system is broken when the main focus is on “passing” a standardized test. Because we are spending so much of our time testing and focusing on test taking strategies, students are not engaging with the curriculum in order to develop a deep understanding, critical thinking, or problem solving skills. The focus on testing has killed creativity and curiosity in students – school and learning are no longer fun or enjoyable. 
My teaching practice will have to change. I currently teach in small group rotations, or stations, but I still have the majority of the control in the classroom.  It is so important to give students control, voice and choice, so that he or she will have ownership over his or her learning. My vision of a PBL classroom is students working in organized chaos. I see students effectively utilizing 21st century skills to complete their task. I will continue to use data to drive my instruction and differentiate and deliver instruction in small groups.  
There are several challenges I feel I will face with implementing PBL. I struggle with creativity. I am not sure how to develop a guiding question or problem that is broad enough to encompass an entire project.  I am also nervous about giving up all control when state testing is a dark looming cloud. I know it will also take time to teach the process to students to have a successful PBL experience.  I am excited and hopeful, but also nervous and scared

4 comments:

  1. You're right about giving up control--it's like having a student teacher and trusting them to take over the classroom. It can be scary at first, but we are always there to take control if needed.
    Also, I agree wholeheartedly with the creativity bit. I'm great at reproducing but struggle with developing my own ideas. Trust your instincts and don't try to go too far outside of your comfort zone at first. Finding inspiration on websites or from colleagues can help spark your own creativity as well. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your statement that we spend too much time getting students ready for standardized testing. This emphasis causes anxiety in students and teachers which I have observed in the elementary school. In the area of creativity I believe that you can access other people's ideas through the Internet or by asking colleagues. Most people do not mind sharing their creativity with other people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree—it is so hard to change the way you’ve always done things, or to feel like you’re losing control in your classroom. But it is so exciting to see how your kids respond to having some real choice and ownership in their work. I think you have an extra challenge with math, because it is SO challenging to find ways to bring in that choice and creativity when there are very specific skills that they have to learn. Working to strengthen our STEM program, I know we need to grow in PBL with math at our school, and I haven’t been sure of how to do that. I know you’ll find a way to start making that happen for your students...and I may be picking your brain for some ideas I can borrow for our elementary kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie,
    One of the qualities you possess that I admire already is your honesty and transparency as an educator. You are not alone in wanting your classroom to be challenging and creative, but wondering how to create opportunities for student choice when a state test is used by many to determine student performance and teacher progress. In subjects and classes where this pressure is palpable, I have found beginning with pbl with a balanced approach can be helpful. Considering the question, "How can I provide my students with pbl experiences that give them choice and increase engagement while also preparing them to show what they know on a skill and drill test?" Working towards the answer to this question can provide a balanced approach that can meet the demands of the subject area and the "test" while also making progress with project based learning.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete