Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Ashley Blackwelder Blog 2

The "main course" project characteristics, while worded slightly differently, line up really well with the PBL essential elements. Students are engaged in an extended learning experience with the "main course" project, they're working collaboratively, given the opportunities to make choices about their learning, and most importantly, they're learning in order to complete their projects--rather than completing a project in order to demonstrate something they're finished learning.

In order to make PBL a main course in my classroom, I will need to continue to search for real-life connections to the standards that all grade levels are expected to learn. I will have to be flexible, because I'll be trying to provide these opportunities to students who already have a homeroom teacher--so I'll have to be willing to give up control in a different way and understand that another teacher may carry out her plans differently than I would. And I'll have to give him/her the space to do that, because I'm basically borrowing all of the students that I get to teach.  I'll also need to focus on the teachers who are already enthusiastic about PBL, and invest my time and energy in those teachers first. I'll have to be patient and wait for the more reluctant ones to see the changes that are taking place in other classrooms around the school.

I am fortunate to have a great deal of support from my administration, as well as a fantastic and unique partnership with our reading coach. We work incredibly well together and are able to use each of our specialties to put the pieces of a PBL unit puzzle together fairly quickly and efficiently. That, combined with a principal who usually trusts us to just "go for it," no matter what crazy ideas we are pitching to him, sets us up for success in trying to grow PBL in our school. We don't get a lot of questions or push-back from school leadership, and I know that is not the case in a lot of schools. The other piece of the puzzle is getting the teachers to really buy in. We've got a lot that are on board, and we are continuing to make progress throughout the school. But there are others who need a little (or a lot) more time and evidence to trust that this is really the best for their kids. If/when questioned, I tell them about the excitement and expertise that I've seen kids demonstrate as a result of a PBL experience. Then, we make sure to show off what other teachers are accomplishing with it, even when it's not perfect (or it's a hot mess!). It's hard to argue against engagement, perseverance, and the undeniable relationships that these students develop with their teachers and each other. Even when it's a flop, it's easy to see that the benefits outweigh the risks.


4 comments:

  1. Real life connections is where I am struggling at this time. How do I apply what I need for them to be able to do with the standards and make it relevant to them?

    It is great that you already have the support of your administration. I am hoping to gain more support as this course grows. Trust is in short supply at this point in time. I am also hoping to get buy in from the teachers on my team. They are a bit skeptical now because we just got word that IB may be going away for us and were relieved. I on the other hand, was disappointed that we would not be teaching using a instructional strategy that focused on inquiry. PBL fits right in with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,
    I love the focus of PBL is "learning to complete the project" instead of "show me what you've learned. I think utilizing your peers to work to all strengths is how a great PBL will come together. I truly hope my peers are supportive and want to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard when PBL/inquiry seems so foreign in a school. And everyone certainly doesn't buy in at once...it takes a while for word to spread, among students and teachers, that something awesome is happening in a certain teacher's class and they want to be a part of it. But it will happen. I can also say that it can be done, whether your school is "officially" a PBL or IB or Project Lead the Way or whatever type of school. We have our STEM certification, but our school hasn't adopted any specific curriculum for STEM. We have found a lot of pride (and freedom) in being a DIY-kind of school, and we are fortunate to have a principal to support that. There are tons of resources out there, but it's nice to not have to follow any one plan. So definitely don't be discouraged if you're not going to be IB anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,
    I know exactly what your pbl implementation is working with a co-teacher. You do have to work with those who want your support first and to really channel your time and energy there. Over the years I've come to realize that the most convincing data for teachers are the buy in from students and from their close colleagues. When a reluctant teacher sees students in her peer's classroom engaged and excited about learning along with the proof that the prof. development plan is working (with minimal collateral damage) :) they are more likely to be the next willing volunteer. I am thankful for your ongoing collaboration with Heather as well as the ongoing support from Dr. K. You have a supportive climate and a welcoming school culture and I can't wait to see your pbl in action.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete