Monday, July 30, 2018

Kelsey Grant Blog 1

Education has been on a path towards standardized learning for many years, and while intentions were well-meaning, the product and outcome has been detrimental to our student population.  As teachers, we know that the best things for our students aren't necessarily taught through lecture and note-taking.  By revolutionizing education, we are going back to the very principles of learning and development: inquiry, creativity, stamina, and a love for learning.  PBL represents the very best of that revolution by embracing the qualities and knowledge today's employers are looking for in a potential employee. 

For me, this challenge means leaving my comfort zone.  I am very content with the collection of content I have created for the past 13 years.  I knew my orchestra method book like the back of my hand--which told me something needed to change if I'm going to continue to be the best educator I can be.  While I will remain focused on my curriculum and standards, I am adopting a new method book as well as new methods of teaching.  My greatest challenge will be stepping up my planning game.  I will need more time before lessons to pull together ideas, I will need to evaluate my long term plans for the month, semester, and year, and I will need to rethink how I structure my concert  rehearsal time in conjunction with PBL.

4 comments:

  1. It can be so hard to leave that comfort zone, especially when we've spent years working on certain lessons and units! The planning is definitely a challenge, but it really is fun to start planning in this way. I get really excited about trying out a new unit for our students. And the great thing is, that if you're excited about it, your kids will be too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, leaving our comfort zones can be super scary. However, the work that will go into implementing PBL will be worth it. Think about what you said in class about how would explain this approach to your students and their parents. That's exactly how you should see it when you begin planning. Use that as your guide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey,
    I agree with you. The intentions were good, but this has been detrimental to our students. I fell we have created a group of students who have lost the learning spark. I feel most of us will be stepping out on faith and leaving our comfort zones, but when we know that this IS what's best for kids, how can we not take that leap?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsey,
    I appreciate your connections of Robinson's call to revolutionize education to project based learning and am looking forward to seeing what pbl experiences and opportunities you will create for your students this year. I respect so very much the intentional choice you made to challenge yourself to grow and expand your curriculum when you have arrived at a place of confidence and success as a thirteen year veteran teacher. Instead of coasting on what you already know and have planned, you are challenging yourself to make orchestra even more engaging for your students. I have learned from my own pbl experience that this challenge not only improves the educational experience for my students, but it also improves it for me as well.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete