Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Kelsey Grant Blog 2

1. The core elements of PBL directly correlate with a "main course" project.  They follow the same format for learning including critical thinking, inquiry, independent work, and a public audience. 

2. A "main course" project means that the material is learned by doing the project rather than a project done after the bulk of the learning is completed.  A student may take a driving question and using sustained inquiry over a period of time, cover multiple standards, topics, and even subjects.  The learning is incorporated in to the project itself.

3. I intend to jump start the PBL experience with a field trip and I have another one planned a few weeks in to the school year.  I'll need approval from administration for both field trips, as well as funds collected from the families of students. 
I will need to restructure my weekly schedule to allow time for PBL work in class.
I would like to have some performances for my classes, either live or via Skype, of different world music groups.  If that doesn't work out with schedule and finances, I will use my best friend, YouTube.
My students will be interviewing parents and grandparents, so I need to make sure they understand the basis of this project and how they play a part.

4. Hopefully by the time I'm asked any questions, my understanding of PBL will be strong enough that I can provide a clear explanation of the main ideas.  I can already explain why I like the structure and concept of PBL, but as I go forward, my working knowledge will expand.  I feel that my colleagues and school leadership will embrace the PBL format.  We have a supportive group that encourages collaboration and sharing of new ideas.  Although this idea isn't new, I know several teachers in my school and district that are already using PBL or would benefit from it and enjoy it.

4 comments:

  1. 3. YouTube! Such a great support when others fall through! I love the idea of using Skype performances and music groups, and I think that since you have really thought out your plan that your administrators would be crazy not to approve your project trips.

    4. "By the time I'm asked any questions" HAHAHAHAHA! I feel the same way! This is part of a learning curve, and if we just speak with conviction about how powerful PBL is, we'll all be okay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of having your students listen to other world music groups performing live. Your students performing live for other musical groups will bring excitement to their learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to come visit you and see you in action with the approach. Your project makes me wish I could still play the viola I played in middle school! I believe that your students will have an even deeper appreciation for their instrument and music in general after experiencing this journey with you. Side note.....I taught first grade at Abner Creek the first year it opened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelsey,
    I really like the idea of skyping with different world music groups and providing your students with the opportunity to hear the music but also to interact with the musicians. I also appreciate the ways you are incorporating literacy authentically across your pbl project with their research and their interviews. I feel strongly that any opportunity we provide for students to thoughtfully interact with others, especially those in their families and communities such as the grandparent interview benefits both parties and helps students see that some of the most valuable resources for learning may not be online at all but may be sitting in a chair in a nursing home just waiting for them to come by. I am also thankful that you have a supportive faculty at Berry Shoals. It is one of my favorite schools because of the environment and culture that Mr. Powell along with the staff have fostered.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete